We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How many hours work a week is reasonable?

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    19 hours!!!!!!:eek:

There are laws regulating how many hours one can legally work at a stretch...agreed overtime or no agreed overtime. I have the vague idea that the law just plain doesnt allow someone to work for more than 12 hours at a stretch - I'm not sure on the exact time...as that sort of question never arises in my sort of job. At 19 hours - his employer is quite quite definitely breaking the law.

The TUC website could give guidance on this.

www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_main.cfm
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tell him to speak to the other workers about it, find out how they feel, if he is a lone voice then he'll probably find he was deemed unsuitable when any trial period comes to an end, or when they need to lay people off after Christmas and things quieten down.

Will the long hours decrease after Christmas is over? I do agree he should be encouraged to save all his overtime in a pot for when times are harder.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Phudge
    Phudge Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank-you , I am encouraged by your replies. The law states that under 18's must not work more than 40 hours. He is almost 18 though. A 12 hour break? Chance would be a fine thing! Last night he got in at almost midnight and was at work again this morning at 8 am. Saturdays are particularly long and hard.

Everyone works the same hours and no, the overtime will not reduce after Christmas, the hours will always be long. Liney, it is a small place but part of a group of establishments nationwide. I will try and talk to him over the weekend about speaking to his manager about it. I am sure he is all too aware of the problem already.
    Penny
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When he is 18 it will change to maximum of 13 hours per day, for 6 days a week, although he would be allowed to work 7 days one week as long as he had 2 days off the following. These a maximums even if he signs a 48 hour opt out form.

As it is part of a National Chain, and as he has a contract, i would say he should query this directly with HR, not his manager at the hotel. HR who will be aware of the rules, but his acting manager may need further training, or just be ignoring his/her responsibilities. Perhaps an email stating the shifts he is expected to work for the next week, and querying their duty to work within the Working Time Regulations Act, would be in order.

http://www.pers.org.uk/hoursbreaks.pdf I have just re-read this for clarification, and the only part i can see the hotel could argue is that your son may be allowed to work upto Midnight, instead of 10pm due to the industry to provide continuity of service, but the rest of the maximum hours so stand.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Phudge
    Options
    Thanks so much Liney. I will chat to him this weekend and see if I might be able to offer some pointers to having a chat with his manager.

I really appreciate all the input so thank-you everyone!
    Penny
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting thread - about twenty years ago this wouldn't even have been questioned... I agree people shouldn't work so many hours, and it is wrong for employers to expect them to.

However, hospitality is a tough, tough industry. I don't really think it gets that much easier as people escalate the career ladder. Both my sisters are chefs. They both started in hotels where they worked lunches, afternoon break, then back at work for 5pm until they were finished - which was often 1am. (And then they would go out clubbing until 3pm!! :eek: With an easy office job, I wondered where their stamina came from!) Both of them now own several restaurants each, and even though now employ their own chefs, work just as hard. At different times, they have left the industry to do sales, or admin, but both went back and would be viewed as very successful. (they certainly have more material things and opportunities for travel than I do with my degrees!)

Your son is young, in his first job, and generally seems to love it. I wouldn't hold him back at all, and importantly, as oldernotwiser says, don't talk down the terms and conditions. It's not taking the mick, it's the industry. Not sure about talking to the manager at this early stage. He's just in the door, and it's the busiest time - by far - in the hotel industry. Jan - March will be a different story, I'd give more time to appraise the true situation.

You must be so proud - sounds as if he is going to be successful whatever.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phudge wrote: »
    He works from 8 am until 10pm -12 am 5 days a week, so between 14-16 hours a day or between 70-80 hours a week.

is he actually working for all those hours or do they stand him down for, say, 2 hours mid-morning & mid afternoon so he doesn't count as "working" for those 4 hours?
  • Phudge
    Options
    Yes, he is working those hours, only meal breaks, no split shifts.

Cazziebo, he is a commis actually, you're right, the industry is tough but I do believe there has to be some balance at least between working hard and getting some rest and relaxation.
    Penny
  • bristol_pilot
    Options
    Does he drive to/from work?
  • Phudge
    Options
    No, luckily it is quite nearby and he can walk or get a lift from us . One plus point to the job!
    Penny
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family