We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How many hours work a week is reasonable?

Options
13»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you can't work more than 48hrs a week for 13 weeks before your employer gets in trouble

it depends on the employer my DH employer averages the hours over 26 weeks so he might work in excess of 48 hrs for 20+ wks then work less to make his hrs legal.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Reasonable hours and the hospitality industry do not go in the same sentence !

The industry as a whole has archaic views on hours and conditions for it's workers. After 7 years an HND and management experience i had enough and left.

For a youngster it can be a very enjoyable and vibrant industry to work in though.

Having said that i would never recommend it as a long term career choice.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely the OP's son is entitled to having some to himself so he can unwind, he shouldn't imo be working the long hours, hes obviously prepared to put the hours in to show he can do it etc
  • fernando_vaz
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    48 hours is one heck of a long workweek anyway - and one that I would never even contemplate of itself (to me a workweek is between 35-40 hours - and I would have my eyes open for another job if I was expected to do the 40 hours, as its sometimes difficult to find enough time as it is with having to have a full-time job).

So - I see where you are coming from and I do wonder just how long he could keep up such a punishing pace. It is going to take a toll if he has to do it for long.

Lazy!

If you are not prepared to do those hours - he needs to choose a different career.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Phudge wrote: »
    Thank-you all for your replies, Of course I am glad he has a fantastic job experience-wise and I'm proud of him for working hard but as ceridwen pointed out how long can he keep this pace up for?

I've been doing it for most of the last decade and a half.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    I've been doing it for most of the last decade and a half.

Thats as may be....but just because we have had some bad treatment...doesnt mean we should wish it on the next generation....I thought the whole idea was to think "I dont want other people to suffer - as I have suffered".
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He's 17 and presumably young and fit so if he's enjoying it (as much as anyone enjoys work:rolleyes: ) then he should continue.

OH a PO and usually works 10 hour shifts but can be kept on duty. Yesterday he went into work at 9am and returned home this morning at 1.30am. He was up then at 8am to be back in work for 9am and is due home tonight at 9pm. His next day off is Xmas day!

I keep telling him he's too old to be working this hard but the OT is paying for a new bathroom!
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    On another note though, I've spent the last 15 years as a lorry driver where the average working week is 53hrs excluding breaks, a typical day being anywhere from 10-13 hours and the maximum working week being 84hrs. There's 100,000's of us leaving home at silly o'clock in the morning and getting back 12-13hrs later or worse. When I do get to do a "normal" 8 hr day, it feels like part time.
    Respect to you. My father and brother both did long distance lorry driving for a few years. I don't remember my father doing it but I do remember my brother and his bedding down in the cab at night to sleep. A blooming hard job.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Phudge
    Phudge Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, he is loving it there and of course he will continue on. 2 more staff will be joining shortly so it may improve a bit.

This last week he worked 93 hours by the way!
    Penny
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family