How many hours work a week is reasonable?

Options
My son is 17 and has just recently started work in the hospitality industry in a job which is giving him a lot of experience but, and it is a very big but, the hours are really long. He works from 8 am until 10pm -12 am 5 days a week, so between 14-16 hours a day or between 70-80 hours a week.

His contract is for 48 hours a week and overtime is expected to be done, paid at a higher rate.

He loves what he does but is exhausted as the week goes on as it is a very physical job.

I would be worried to say anything though as he has only been there for 2 weeks and this is his first major job since college.

Does anyone have any advice on this please?
Penny

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    He gets paid for his overtime and he loves his job;he's young and can cope with hard work. Don't undermine his efforts by questioning what he's doing or assuming he can't cope; if he's going to have a career in hospitality he'll have to accept that the hours come with the territory.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree! Most boys that age are lazy little b*ggers - be glad you've got a hard working grafter for a son! :)

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh he must be bringing home a very good wage. Encourage him to save for times when that overtime might not be available!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You may wish to peruse the working time regs paying particular attention to the maximum hours worked (assuming he has not oppted out), daily rest periods and young persons in the workplace.
    From a health and safety perspective there are also further concerns...http://www.hse.gov.uk/youngpeople/risks/
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Phudge wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on this please?

For his age, there's restrictions in law about the hours he can work.

On another note though, I've spent the last 15 years as a lorry driver where the average working week is 53hrs excluding breaks, a typical day being anywhere from 10-13 hours and the maximum working week being 84hrs. There's 100,000's of us leaving home at silly o'clock in the morning and getting back 12-13hrs later or worse. When I do get to do a "normal" 8 hr day, it feels like part time.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He will be feeling exhausted for the first few weeks as he's not used to working so many hours but he will soon get used to it and his body/sleep pattern will adapt. Just be prepared for him to spend his days off zonked out at first :rotfl:

Someone else has already suggested checking the legal side and ensure he is taking proper breaks at appropriate times etc.

You should be proud he's willing to get off his backside and earn a decent wage for himself, unlike a lot of 17 year olds :T
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm....can see why his contract says 48 hours - bit of a coincidence that...with the fact that 48 hours is the maximum one can legally work per week - unless one signs that opt-out thing. Hmmmmm...

His employer is obviously conscious that they are "taking the michael" and making him work too long.

He does have a problem here. He is perfectly entitled to tell them he is sticking to 48 hours - as thats what the law says and he didnt sign an opt-out from that. 48 hours is one heck of a long workweek anyway - and one that I would never even contemplate of itself (to me a workweek is between 35-40 hours - and I would have my eyes open for another job if I was expected to do the 40 hours, as its sometimes difficult to find enough time as it is with having to have a full-time job).

So - I see where you are coming from and I do wonder just how long he could keep up such a punishing pace. It is going to take a toll if he has to do it for long.

In this current economic climate - he does have a problem though - as he could insist on his rights - but then find they turn round the following week and make an excuse to sack him. The unfair dismissal period is 1 year currently and I believe redundancy pay doesnt apply till one has had a job for 2 years.

So - I guess it boils down to grit his teeth and hang on in there until that first year is up - then make an excuse to get his hours cut back to the 48 he is contracted for and meanwhile look for another job before his health suffers from all those hours worked. Certainly - at the least - I cant see how he can possibly "have a life" if he is doing so many hours at work - and whats the point of being alive if one doesnt "have a life"? Thats the whole idea - earn money to spend on ones life - not to spend all one's time and energy slogging away like a little machine.

Good luck.
  • Phudge
    Phudge Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank-you all for your replies, Of course I am glad he has a fantastic job experience-wise and I'm proud of him for working hard but as ceridwen pointed out how long can he keep this pace up for? He IS totally zonked on his days off and he doesn't have any time off for relaxation during his 5 working days. He literally wakes, showers, works and sleeps.

He is very willing to work hard but today he has gone to work and has a 19-hour shift ahead of him and he's not happy as he's already very tired. Working 19 hours is punishing on ANYONE.

Ceridwen, his contract states that he is expected to do overtime. It is not an option.

There is another member of staff off at the moment (it's a small team) who is off sick so I hope that when he returns the load might be eased a bit.
    Penny
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As he isn;t 18 he should not work more than 8 hours a day, and not more than 5 days per week, with 12 hours rest between shifts. He should not work past 10pm either.. However Working time regulations can be stretched in certain circumstances; like no one else is willing to work overtime, but he is... the company is exceptionally busy for one reason or another. As you pointed out a collegue is off sick, and its Christmas within the hospitality trade.

I'd this a big player he works for, or an independant hotel? I would wait and see what happens when the other guy returns from being sick.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think you can't work more than 48hrs a week for 13 weeks before your employer gets in trouble
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure