I used someone else's listing detail - is it against the rules?

Options
I listed something on eBay and used copied some text from someone else's auction, I changed some of it, removed a bit and added some of my own, the only real details kept were the spec, he's now contacted me to say to change it or remove my listing or he'll report me to eBay, I will probably change it but can he report me to eBay? And will they cancel the auction? It's for a car by the way. TIA.
2p off is still 2p off!

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I listed something on eBay and used copied some text from someone else's auction, I changed some of it, removed a bit and added some of my own, the only real details kept were the spec, he's now contacted me to say to change it or remove my listing or he'll report me to eBay, I will probably change it but can he report me to eBay? And will they cancel the auction? It's for a car by the way. TIA.

Post up the numbers for yours and his auctions.
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate idiots on ebay that moan if someones uses certain text or a stock image. just change the context of the text and change the paragraphs around and maybe add a different photo, then email him back and say you have not copied his listing.

In the help section in ebay there is the option for someone to report copying of listings but it depends if ebay can be bothered to remove it or not and if they get to it in time

Surely the spec is the same as it is a car so you will have the same "stats" anyway
    Some people have too much time on their hands
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes he can report you to ebay for it. But to be honest all you will get is an automated reply explaing the rules and not to do it again. They have the option of pulling your listing but is seems it is too much trouble because they never do!

The only problem you may have is because the seller has been bothered enough to contact you he may sabotage your auction (fake bid, warning bidders etc.)

My advice, email him and explain you weren't aware it was against ebay rules, but if he doesn't mind you'll continue the listing anyway and won't do it again.
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote:
    Post up the numbers for yours and his auctions.

Cheers PM sent.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • mike230652
    mike230652 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since the spec on identical cars will be the same...he can't realy complain too much about that.
    To be honest...any car advert for a standard car will be pretty similar.
    he probably can't do much about it and eBay won't care anyway!...but next time why don't you try and be a bit more original..and not bastardise somebody else's advert?? The idea is to stand out from the crowd..not follow it.

Mike
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cheers PM sent.

OK I looked at them.

I am not a legal person, but I have had other people's auctions pulled in my time where other have copied my auctions identically or used my pictures.

Here is my opinion:

1. I cannot see any copyright assertion in the body of the auctions and he does not have an "about me" page. "about me" is always a good place to put this as it automatically attaches to every auction you list.

2. Although I can see the "similar" text, as a whole the auction is completely different (the product is not even identical)

So the questions is "can he report me to ebay". Sure he can report you. but in my opinion its unlikely they will do anything, and if they did they'd just pull your auction.
  • nightswimmer
    nightswimmer Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing to do with the original question but...
    Lorian wrote:
    1. I cannot see any copyright assertion in the body of the auctions and he does not have an "about me" page. "about me" is always a good place to put this as it automatically attaches to every auction you list.

You don't need a copyright notice on a piece of work for it to be copyrighted.
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    TBH
    If you copied it word for word i would be a bit pee'd off that you had used all my hard work

Since you have changed the text around theres not a lot he can do really,
    also as its the same spec car what does he want yopu to do lie about it to keep him happy

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • Dronegc_2
    Dronegc_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I had this a month back. The bloke had used my photo, the same title, my words, and added a bit more text. I emailed him, asking to remove the photo, which he did. Instead of revising the listing and replacing the photo (which would have cost nothing), he pulled the listing and re-listed. Which was silly.

Anyway, if the your listing is very similar to his, then he's got every right to complain.
    Next time, if you want to use something of his, email him beforehand.
    Boo!
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Cheers all, was just worried about him spoiling my auction or the like, but it's had bids on it (not reached the reserve) can I log on and edit now?
    2p off is still 2p off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport