New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Mushy Peas??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
64 replies 17.6K views
genie_2genie_2 Forumite
54 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I want to make mushy peas with the lunch tomorrow. Troble is I have never made them.

Currently I have dried peas soaking, do I just cook them for so long that they go mushy or do I have to add something else to them to mush them up?

Any advice appreciated :confused:

Replies

• comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frozen/soaked peas, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a knob of butter, boil or microwave (approx 5 mins microwave, 10 mins boiling) and then mash/blend. You could also add a little fresh mint, or i will often use frozen minted peas.
  • genie_2genie_2 Forumite
    54 posts
    I already started soaking the dried peas and don't want to throw them out now, sorry :o

Edit: I just re read your post properly and see that you did say dried OR frozen peas! Opps!

I'm just in a dizz about this :O
  • comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats ok, its a really simple recipe, but tastes lovely!!!!
  • withabixwithabix Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Proper mushy peas are made from marrowfat peas, not your normal 'Birds Eye' etc.

You can probably only get proper ones up north. Same with Black pudding, Cumberland Sausage, decent cheese, pies and in fact any 'proper' food whatsoever :p etc...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • miacatmiacat Forumite
    4K posts
    i love mushy peas but don't buy them because they all have food colourings in. tryed making my own but they wasn't the same. :(
  • Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    miacat wrote:
    i love mushy peas but don't buy them because they all have food colourings in. tryed making my own but they wasn't the same. :(

Asda do tinned Marrowfat peas with no colouring in, you have to look carefully for them as the tins are almost identical to the dyed ones ... if you give them a bit of a mash they make a fairly good mushy pea substitute :)
  • jaffajaffa Forumite
    94 posts
    Genie wrote:
    I want to make mushy peas with the lunch tomorrow. Troble is I have never made them.

Currently I have dried peas soaking, do I just cook them for so long that they go mushy or do I have to add something else to them to mush them up?

Any advice appreciated :confused:

I usually soak dried peas overnight with the tablet provided or bicarb of soda.
    Drain and boil in fresh water - lovely, miles better than tinned or frozen mushy peas....
  • genie_2genie_2 Forumite
    54 posts
    catowen wrote:
    Frozen/soaked peas, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a knob of butter, boil or microwave (approx 5 mins microwave, 10 mins boiling) and then mash/blend. You could also add a little fresh mint, or i will often use frozen minted peas.

This is the method I used for the mushy peas, they turned out absolutely perfect! Thankyou all so much for your help. I know it wasn't a major request and I am quite a good cook, honest! But I was really stuck as I had never ever tried them before.

The OS board comes to the rescue again!! :j
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always use the quick soak dried peas. I just add a little bit of sugar and some boiling water to the peas and cook until mushy enough. Make sure that you keep your eye on the pan though as they tend to absorb the water quickly.
  • I always use frozen peas only because i find it a bit quicker!!!!!!!!!!