Son off to Uni

Options
DS is planning to go to University next Sept/October - away from home for the first time and I was thinking about putting things away every month for him so that when he goes we will have the things he needs for cooking, sleeping etc. He is quite a keen cook so probably will do some cooking rather than living off beans and toast.

I have seen a few first home/student starter kits but not sure that they are the best value?

Can anyone suggest what kind of things I should look out for and the best places to buy them.?

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best place for you is our Student board and so I'll move you across there. :)

The useful links sticky at the top of the board has plenty of help to get you started, though it's true that a fair number of them link straight back here to our clutch of student based threads.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know you want to get him prepared but before you start you need to find out what 'living scenerio' he'll be in. Probably quite hard to do now unless he has offers from his preferred choices already (I'm a recent graduate and work in University Admissions so hopefully what I'm saying makes sense ..)

If he does have an offer which is going to be his firm choice (or as soon as he does) he needs to look at their accomodation, if he hasn't already and decide which he's most interested in. Some Universities only have catered accomodation (so buying him lots of saucepans etc would be a bit silly) others provide bedding etc (so buying duvet covers etc would be silly) - having said that my Brother had bedding provided at Uni but took his own duvet and cover as he doesn't like sheets just in case that was what they had when he got there.

Electrical items are best left until he knows where he's going for certain - my University wouldn't even let you have a kettle in your room for example so the kettle I had stayed in it's box for a few years - but there are some things that he'll almost certainly want.

Things like a few mugs, plates, glasses, spoons etc.
    Also might not be obvious but things like toothpaste, washing powder, razor blades etc - if you see them on offer anywhere between now and then getting enough for the first term would probably win you big favours - and not just with your son - I had people keep wanting to borrow mine when they didn't have any toothpaste etc left ;)

If you're not sure about accomodation at his preferred university check the prospectus, website or phone/email the university - it's certainly worth knowing what the kitchen facilities etc are like/whether self caterings offered etc.

Hope that helps
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    wow yr really kind wish my mum and dad cared so much to ever help me with owt!

itd probly be a good idea to look in the sales or at tk maxx clearance or in primark for towels and stuff like taht.
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Yorkielass has said it all really. We had at least two threads going last year, one here and one on Old Style IIRC, about what to send your student offspring off with, but it really does depend what sort of accommodation they get. DS1 finally told me two weeks before leaving that he needed EVERYTHING for the kitchen ... fortunately I had spares of most things already. And TBH, I'm glad I only sent him off with my extras: various bits and pieces have been broken. Also I only gave him two of crockery and cutlery, he doesn't have a lot of storage space and that way I can restock if both get broken ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    wow you really help your kids out dont you? its well alien to me!
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • Davidboy
    Davidboy Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Our daughter went to uni last Sept, we had to trawl round the shops for things for her to take. No bedding supplied, and self catering. We found dinner service in IN-STORE, 4 plates, bowls, cups, side plates for £8, cutlery Ikea £7.95, glasses - wine, tall, and beer, £3 for 4 at IN-STORE. Duvet Argos £15, Iron £6 IN-STORE, towels we bought from Bidup.tv paid £24 for a bail of 10, she took half and her sister will have the other half when she goes this year. Shampoo she will only use Tressemme, so bought loads when it was on offer at Bewise. Toilet rolls, found recently that Macro had very big packs BOGOF for Charmin. Other pots and pans Ikea are very good for, but we bought 2 saucepans and a frying pan in Sainsburys about a fiver each. the other thing that quite shocked us was the price for washing, £1.20 per wash and 40p to dry, so start collecting £1 coins and 20p coins. Expensive time eh??

D
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Davidboy wrote:
    the other thing that quite shocked us was the price for washing, £1.20 per wash and 40p to dry, so start collecting £1 coins and 20p coins. Expensive time eh??
    Oh yeah, living in halls, washing in launderettes / when you come home!! I had half the family saving 20p coins for me for those machines!! Thank god for living out in a house with a real washing machine (and a clothes line - nice fresh sheets!)

If there's not a microwave provided, it's worth getting one if you see one cheap or someone you know is chucking out a working one. Same for other kitchen appliances. Not many halls have them (usually just a kettle) and they're obviously v v useful and will make him v popular! There is a worry of duplicate stuff, but in my first year, even thought there was 12 of us on a corridor, we ended up with only one of everything (1 toastie maker, 1 microwave, 1 George Forman (got used a lot), 1 rice cooker) did have 2 toasters but they were both used lots. Iron - useful for girls but I know lads who didn't havn't used theirs in 3 years!

Crockery / cutlery I nicked from home! Don't really need much! If you have to buy, buy cheapo stuff.
    2 x eating stuff (plates, bowls, knife, fork, spoons, teaspoons - if he has guests he can borrow someone elses in addition)
    few mugs / glasses (they have a habit of getting lost / broken);
    basic utensils - spatula, cooking spoon (ikea did a good plastic set of 3 which cost about £2 and have lasted me through uni),
    decent chopping knives, one big, one small
    tin-opener,
    chopping board,
    big bowl for mixing,
    2 x saucepans - one big, one little,
    colander / sieve,
    little tubs for keeping leftovers,
    cheese grater,
    veg peeler,
    baking tray,
    bottle-opener (the most important!!:beer:)

Anything else needed can be bought once there - every town has Wilkos and Tesco!

Extra towels are useful as they often take ages to dry on the tiny little radiators you get in hall. A clothes horse / drier also v useful but dep on size of room! Sleeping bag / airbed is good if he's likely to have friends up to stay (the one girl on my corridor with a sleeping bag ended up lending it out every weekend!).
    Make sure he takes his own duvet, there's something about your own duvet that smells of home thats very comforting on your daunting first night away from home, not matter how macho he thinks he is :shhh: !
    Computer bits are great if you see them cheap - printer / cartridges, digital camera (the best thing I bought before coming!), USB memory stick, memory cards for cameras / mp3 players, etc.

I took my mum round Ikea for 'essentials' before I left - extra storage bits and bobs, stationary stuff, a few kitchen bits - inc stuff I've never used in nearly 3 years! Looking back to halls, the homely things were nicer - my own duvet, extra pillows, posters, lots of photos, my lava lamp / fairy lights - I know lads aren't so soppy, but halls rooms can be very bleak, when empty mine looked like a cell!

Hope he has a great time!! Uni's great, I can't believe it's nearly over for me :(
  • Heir_2_Hesjane
    Options
    I'd be extremely careful buying electrical items - especially high power items such as microwaves. Most University owned halls have been fully electrical checked and tested and have a lower power load limit on their circuits. I'm a been a Warden of my halls of residence for the last four years now and I've had to dish out my fair share of fines because someone has either been caught during termly room checks or been caught due the whole power circuits tripping when they plug in a hugely loading electrical item!

At my Uni each room will just about manage a computer, printer, stereo, and a few other small items (such as phone chargers, etc). After that I have known some students to trip the fuses and get a ticking off!

We are told in are room contracts that certain appliances are not allowed in rooms and ANY appliance that requires a 13watt fuse (other than computers/printers). Its best to check once you know which hall you have.
    Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence
  • joe13
    joe13 Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    My DD went last september and could not get into halls of residence. So we had to provide absolutely everything from a kettle to all bedding.
    Her accommodation allows all electrical items and there are ample plug sockets available in each room and in shared kitchen/diner. No checks were made. (They could hardly say no when they provide nothing themselves)
    As already mentioned saving coins for the washing is a good one - we had both sets of grandparents savings 20p coins for months. Then found that the cost of washing machine had gone up to £1.50 per wash and she need £1 and 50p coins. (20p still needed for the dryer). We sent DD off with huge box of toileteries, loo rolls, washing powder ( all purchased on special offers BOGOF etc).

Best thing you could do for your son is make sure he knows how to budget his finances, my DD has astounded us with the mess she has got into after just one term.
  • vickylee
    vickylee Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Please remember to remind them to take bags and bags of common sense with them as well! Having worked in a Uni for the last seven years I'm still amazed how many students never think to look before crossing a road, leaving bags/books unattended,and not being there on returning. Also personal safety - they may have got into Uni but they are not invincible!
    Mum to 2 cheeky little monkeys! :D
    Usborne Books at Home Organiser
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family