Son off to Uni

Options

Comments

• rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Not really moneysaving tips but a couple of other things that might come in useful are a doorstoop and a crate of beer (if they drink). Before I moved into halls in my first year somebody suggested I find something to prop the door of my bedroom open. That way the first couple of days are much friendlier. It takes a lot of courage for fellow first years to knock on your door, but it's easy for them to say 'hi' as they're walking past.

On a slightly different note, I'm not suggesting that your DS/DD drinks all of the beer themselves. It just gives them a chance to offer fellow flatmates a welcome drink and an opportunity to get chatting.

HTH :beer:

P.S. After a few months, I also painted my crockery and cutlery with black nail varnish to identify it as mine (as it had started to go missing), though this might be a bit too pernickerty (sp?) for some...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote:
    he already has a TV in his bedroom at home so he can take that.
    Technically, he is supposed to have his own TV licence if he takes his own TV into halls. There have been various threads in various places about how unlikely it is that he will get caught, but as a responsible parent you might want to tell him the legal situation!

The black nail varnish is a good idea, but what do you do with black kitchen implements?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • muddled_midget
    Options
    Don't forget a good first aid kit, and plenty of pain killer type things for when the nights get a bit heavy. As a minimum a travel first aid kit will do, but go to Wilko's or somewhere like that and stock up on plasters and paracetamol, campus shops charge a fortune for things like these, but when you're desperate you'll pay it
    £2 Coin Savers Club £14 :j (joined 18/2/06)
  • rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    For the nail varnish, I guess you could use a different (opaque) colour for the black implements. I second the painkillers too!

(I just used black because that's what I already had, left over from fancy dress)
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget if they're taking a telly to uni may need to get their own TV licience, I can't remember what the rule are.

If they're self-catering the sort of things, herbs, spices, worchester sauce etc that we all keep in out kitchen cupboards,come in very handy when they're trying to 'make a 101 things with mince'. A basic cookbook aimed at students or those on a low budget is a good idea, and if you can teach them a few easy foolproof recipes before they go it will help.
  • ames123_2
    ames123_2 Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    rlm wrote:
    P.S. After a few months, I also painted my crockery and cutlery with black nail varnish to identify it as mine (as it had started to go missing), though this might be a bit too pernickerty (sp?) for some...

Good idea. Or make sure that the cutlery you buy you can identify as yours. Some of mine have gone as well I think, unless they are in my room lol. Mark your other kitchen equipment too as some as mine has disappeared! :mad:
    Student MoneySaving Club member 017!
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    The crate of beer is a very good idea. I went with a bottle of Bailey's which served me well. Also tea-bags, sugar, a pint of milk and a packet of biscuits would be a really good thing to take.

The door stop is a good one too. The halls I was in didn't have self-closers on the doors so we didn't need them. Later they installed them on one of the floors upstairs to increase security but it didn't really work because people disabled them in ways that meant the door didn't lock even when you pulled it to. A sticky label with your name to go on the door might be good if it's a big flat. It would be a good idea to take a keyring that is an obvious shape you can pat your pocket to check for it because if you go out without it and shut the door it's a pain trying to get someone with the spare key to let you back in.

Something that's worth getting asap is a decent map and an itchy guide if the place has one. One of the first things I did on my first day exploring Manchester was to find the tourist information office and buy a map. It made me feel I had much more freedom to explore the city without worrying about getting lost.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    absolutely agree about the painkillers - also would add a couple of toothbrushes and maybe some condoms (and for girls a couple of months supply of their choice of sanitary protection, yes I know some of you will be going URGH - but its essential and EXPENSIVE!)

multivitamins is a good bet plus a selection of herbs and spices (they can be expensive to fork out for yourself but can easily transform a meal)

as already mentioned it really depends on what sort of accomodation the person is going into.

love the idea of the airbed - wish I'd thought of that when i was at uni, but they prob didnt have them then ;)
    Blah
  • anfieldred
    anfieldred Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Ive been at uni 3 years now, each time i go back in september i always forget something. The best place is Asda- their smartprice stuff for homeware, cutlery, pans etc is great.

I bought a set of pans for about £7, that had 3 big pans, frying pans are about £1.50 in the smartprice bit.

For the kitchen (if in student halls), get things like scrubbing brushes (about 25p in smartprice :)), a good Knife as mentioned earlier. Scourers (sp?) tea towels, teabags, cleaning cloths, wooden spoon, spatula, corkscrew/bottle opener(very important).

Things such as hoovers, toasters/kettles/microwave are *usually* supplied in halls, but try to contact them before hand to see what is needed.

Someone mentioned Ikea earlier, that is good for some things, but a bit overpriced. Again, id say Asda, they do bedding sets from around £3, and although they may fade a little quicker than others, you can get a few in.

Get a few spare sheets/bedding, to save your son/daugther having to do their washing more often.
    Cleaning cloths,multi surface cleaner, bleach for bathroom/work surfaces.
    If taking a TV, a tv licence is required, although my halls have never had a tv licence agent visit(im not saying dont get one ;)).

For Bedroom things, id say get a mattress protector, they are only about £5 but they make the beds far more comfier/easier to sleep on. A spare cushion, plenty of towels, extra pillows (last year i moved back to uni without my pillows, spent the first night on a pillow from poundland).

As someone else mentioned, 20p coins for the washers, also, get plenty of washing powder tablets, half the machines at my halls ruined my mates washing when using normal liquid detergents.

Things like drawing pins (for putting things on noticeboards), a pad of paper and some pens can come in really handy for in your flat, not just for uni.

If i can think of anything else ill get back to this thread
  • StudentSaver_2
    Options
    anfieldred wrote:
    Someone mentioned Ikea earlier, that is good for some things, but a bit overpriced.

Another thing you need to watch out for in Ikea is the bedding. Pillow and quilt covers are European sizes, not UK sizes. Pillow cases will generally be more "square" than our pillows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure