PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

December 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• kayharcombe
    Options
    Me an dhubby started an enrich our lives list silly things like
    we need new wine glasses as alll ours broke
    more tea spoons and knives where they all gone

the teaspoon fairy visits us too!!!!!

I think shes friends with the sock fairy
    Frugal living challenge 2023 £7500 for 2 adults
    January grocery challenge £60.55/ £200
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    MrsMcw can you put me down for £70 a week including diesel please? I think this should be sufficient. Have most of the food needed for the holidays. We are away from Boxing day with 2 lots of friends and will eat at each others place different nights. There will be 11 of us, so on our evening, I've got 25 :eek: large organic sausages (reduced:D ) and will serve with creamy mash, carrots, HM onion/mushroom gravy & peas...so nice, easy and cheap. Ive also got a cheese board coming for another evening....so it will be lovely.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Hi Guys! My first spend of December - bought some cod and smoked haddock fillets from the local market. They were in total, £15.50 but I should get about 4 meals from them. Also bought some fruit and veg; veg which i will chop and freeze. My total spend came to £22.65. I will only need to get some bread and milk over the weekend.
    Hubby has informed me he has another bag full of potatoes to bring home (I am sure he is charging for jobs in spuds!!) as well as a stalk of brussel sprouts given to him from the local farmer! Good job I didn't buy any today.

I have had a good day, also bought some Christmas presents (out of a different budget!) but the best thing was I bought them locally, from independent shops.

Hope everyone has a good weekend - stay warm x
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All

Just about to update sig - not a great start to this month, cant wait for January for things to get back to normal.

Had an online shop delivered wednesday stocked up quite a bit then popped to tescos one evening and to Iceland today for next weeks packed lunch supplies. I do find Iceland nice and easy to pop to and it doesnt seem to tempt me as much as other supermarkets.

Need to write next weeks menu plan later and get a sack of potatos from the farm shop sometime soon.
    x
  • oligeo
    oligeo Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Spent £1.50 today at a local farm shop, got some brocolli, 2 bags of potatoes, a bag of onions and a bag of cooking apples.

Going to try and make it to next Friday with out spending anything.

Sarah
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hi All popping in for the first time this month. Went to a large MrS's this week and spent £49.03 brought enough to last next week so will not be going again until Thursday as the Kids break up Friday. Got a nice bacon joint which we haven't had for months. So fancy that for a change. Good luck everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 4504 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right so far spend £17.80 as spent £7 in corner shop yesterday and £10.70 in co-op today and got

meatballs reduced to £1.29
    ham reduced to 33p
    strawberries reduced to 49p
    4 bottles of beer on fab offer of £2.45
    co-op own brand coffee £1.69
    2litres milk 85p
    paper £1
    treat of week after struggling all week £1.90 grazia mag
    can of coke for hubby.

Spent proceeds of ebay local pickup money, hubbys cheques clear tommorow as we had energy rebate so hes giving me whole £20! to do mini shop before we do large shop on tuesday.
    Was thinking of doing 5-6 supermarkets tue but dont think hubby will agree!
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Options
    Utter nightmare foodwise today. Next time I offer to be the one that has everyone elses sick kids for the day - SOMEBODY SHOOT ME!!!!!!! I have had 6 kids here today, in varying stages of unwellness and all arguing.

Didnt get out to pick up my prescription and buy 2 birthday presents (at woolies!) until after 4pm. Not home till after 5.30pm so cheated big time and spent £3.30 in fish and chips for the kids tea :o

Also spent £3.80 and £1.50 yesterday on extra bits as was running around again. Am not feeling like I'm doing so well at this. Even so, its a good eye opener into how much I am spending.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on your reductions gailey! I agree with a previous poster, about telling your hubby that if you save on food, you can go somewhere nice on holiday/other bribe :) That might help him come around to your way of thinking.

Spent £4.94 in Co-Op on:
    Nouvelle BOGOF £2.35
    Ski yoghurts 2 for £2
    Double cream £0.59

Apparently Co-Op is the most ethical supermarket of them all, so think I will try doing a big monthly storecupboard shop from there, and stop lining Mr Ts pockets. Yes it is more expensive, but I think it is the way forward. Buy meat from the butchers, veg from the grocers etc. Or maybe go to Lidl.

Having Ikea meatballs, chips and cream sauce for tea. Nom nom nom :)

Edit: Curses, I forgot I spent 50p on chocolate at work. *Sigh* Will go and update sig again.

Edit 2: I just updated my FixtureFerrets membership, so that is another £5.20 to come out of the Grocery budget.
    I can't believe how much food is in the house. I can't use it up quick enough - no food waste yet (I have started a list and attahced it to the fridge :D)
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • macwah97
    macwah97 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    Did my weekly shop at T's. Over budget!!! :eek: by £4.94 at £54.94.:o But to be honest needed to buy Cold&Flu tablets and a bottle of Port for Hot Port to tray and break this cold of mine and there were 2 Xmas pressies in there also.

DS (11) raided the RTC section and appeared with 10 small pizzas in his arms and stated 'That's me and sister fed for the next five evenings!!' :rotfl: What a look I got from other shoppers !!! I really am becoming a 'bad mummy' feeding junk food every night :p

TBH they have school dinners and get lots of hidden veg

December GC 300/54.94 (2 adults, 2 children and 2 dogs)
    Live as cheaply as possible
    Current debt £85k (includes mortgage):(
    Taxman £7500 :mad: bank of FiL 760 Simply B 945 Jacamo 150 Ccs 3000
    A lurker not a shirker, part-time worker and carer for DH (recovering from Cancer and recently diagnosed as a Diabetic with Heart problems) and DS who is suffering from MH issues
    £1 a day Xmas 2015 7/364
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family