PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    I just want us to heat healthy with tasty hoem cooked natural foods.
    Hubbys in unhealthy as hes fussy he hardly eats any vegeats huge prtions and loves his meat too much. He also has no restraint when it comes to bread,cheese,chocolate,crisps,biscuits and cakes hence me hiding some stuff as nice surprise!

Sounds like you have a hungry lad there, mine is quite similar but usually when it comes to what he gets to eat, he has no say in the matter. :rotfl: He get's what he is given and dare not complain.

I think you just need to figure ways to feed his appetite more cheaply, without leaving him feeling like you are cutting him back and depriving him of the things he likes. Clearly you're not going to win that battle and cutting him back from 10 to zero is not going to work. So for the meat issue I would use the cheaper cuts of meat and chicken, mince and stewing steaks, make lots of hearty blokey stews, meat pies, casseroles, shepherds pie, curries etc and pad them out with a bit more veggies, rice and pasta etc. Gradually and he won't notice the change. ;) You might just need to be a bit more artful, afterall men are like children really, so all those tricks to get more veg into the diet, grating carrot into mince dishes etc will work for you.

I'm not the greatest meat eater, so I tend to make stewy type things, with lots of veggies and give OH most of the meat. He's none the wiser!!! ;)
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • mummy2mygirls
    Options
    £24 to the milk man for the mth today, but havent had to get anything else in since my big shop, so happy with that. Makes it a bit better when i make bread at home, but as the fam dont seam to like it for sarnies i have some in the freezer for them, use hm bread for the toast (which is what we use so much of it for!!) and also dd doesnt have a sarnie every day now and sometimes has left over pasta or pitta bread, and when i went to tesco i got some woopsie mini pittas for 7p so got 3packs and popped in the freezer!!

anyway went of a bit there!!! of to update sig now...
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm (finally!) collecting my turkey crown tomorrow then I'll just need to get vegetables and milk next week.

I see a lot of people saying they are over budget but including christmas food, presents etc in their totals. I think you should cut yourself some slack this month because of the extra expense. Its great just to be aware of what we're spending .;)

Welcome back MrsM :hello:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hollysan
    Hollysan Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Well the first week of December has not gone too badly, but I haven't bought much towards Christmas yet, just some chocs and a pud. Had an online grocery delivery this week to stock up on dry goods, but I need to do a wholefood order some time as well, to buy breadflour, grains and toiletries. That will be expensive.

I have been reading all the recipe threads and trying to find some new recipes for cheap suppers in the run-up to Christmas. There are some great ideas here, so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Am going Christmas shopping with OH on Monday; I have a budget to stick to and he will resist it! Wish me luck...

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    Hi Mrs M - Just popped on to say I have declared my November budget on the November thread and that I won't be in the challenge this month as we go away Friday (:j ), but wish everyone well and also...

:xmastree: :rudolf: :xmassmile :snow_laug :santa2: :snow_grin :xmassign: :snow_grin :santa2: :snow_laug :xmassmile :rudolf: :xmastree:

All the best to everyone!!!:T
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Evening all

Just thought I would pop by... I escaped from hospital this afternoon -but have to be back for 8am Monday :rolleyes:

Hi Mrs M, I must have missed something on my skimreads - are you OK? why were you in hospital? Hope everything is well and sorry to hear about your brother being laid off... :A
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mommyof4
    mommyof4 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poffigirl could you share your carrot cake muffins with us? they sound lovely! thanks
    (vegetarian & vegan family: me, DH, DS11 & DS 7, 3 dogs and 3 cats (not veggie )
    Sealed pot challenge No 020
    challenge 5: [part 2] £426.09!!
    challenge 6: £272.14
    challenge 7: (target £500)
    Dont forget the birds - feed them your scraps :)
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Well did another semi big shop yesterday with a view to spending £40 to get using my £4 off voucher making a total of £37.30 spent at Sainsburys - included fruit and veg for the week and some store cupboard stuff as well as a few Xmas bits and bobs. Then another £4.78 spent at M&S although I did forget the very thing I went there for :rolleyes: so another £1.29 to go. Anyway an overall total of £42.08 spent this week making a total for december of £82.98 so far...

Will have to try to keep a tight eye for the rest of the month!
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our shopping bill was quite low for a change - £35.76. I think we are starting to see the benefit of having a veg box delivered every week now, although my bank balance isn't as I am the one that pays for this. DH is the one that pays the shopping bill and he is a happy bunny that it has gone down..lol
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, sorry I'm really late, can you put me down for £180.00 please?
    I know, must try harder this month to keep track of everything. Last month I wasn't really on the ball, I came in under but wasn't doing very well.
    I think due to a bereavement, I thought I was ok but it's caught up on me now.

So I'll get my Kenwood out in a minute and get some bread on the go, got a pack of Wright's ciabatta mix for 50p whoopsie the other day so I'll do that and make some scones for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure