PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2008 Grocery Challenge

1787980818284»

Comments

• LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Hi again.

Just a quick note to say that our month ends tomorrow 26th Jan and I have spent the grand total of £131.76 on groceries this month. I switched to aldi/lidl for 100% my fruit and veg.

I have made hobnobs 3 times, julias cake once and 2 trays of rocky road to keep the OH happy. Switched to baking my own rolls instead of buying them in the supermarket daily (with 101 other bits I didn't need). If i do need to pop into a supermarket mid week I do it 7.30-8pm and pick up some reductions. I did manage to get 2 whole organic chickens plus a 1.2kg bit of brisket, 300g stewing steak and a pack of 4 sirloin steaks for under £4 last week by going in just before closing, I had ran out of teething gel so it was totally accidental. Without reading this board i wouldn't of even thought to buy it and freeze.

Thanks again
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • Hi - havent had time to read the whole thread, sorry if repeating.

Nappies - if possible use 'value' nappies during day and good nappies at night (so a pack of 30 good nappies lasts a month-ish) value nappies are around £2 for 20. Maybe leave the nappies off a bit more? I also had some 'prefolds' from washable nappies which I used to cover with a liner and put inside a value nappy (instead of putting in a cloth nappy). A value nappy lasted a while this way... (Ive even been known to use maternity towels in toddlers pants in emergencies!!! lol)

Flapjacks are a good cheap snack for people who have a sweet tooth, as is shortbread, minimal ingredients. Buy flour!!

Dilute things so they last longer/go further.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    LilacPixie wrote: »
    Hi again.

Just a quick note to say that our month ends tomorrow 26th Jan and I have spent the grand total of £131.76 on groceries this month. I switched to aldi/lidl for 100% my fruit and veg.

Thanks again

:T:TWell done! That's brilliant!!:T:T
    A proper little MSE'r aren't you?:D:D:j:j
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    mags50 wrote: »
    :T:TWell done! That's brilliant!!:T:T
    A proper little MSE'r aren't you?:D:D:j:j

Yup.. I'm all proud of myself too.. aint that daft.

Honestly we have not suffered either. Nappies is still a big expense but oldest is only in then at nights now. I am not sticking to one brand like i did with the oldest.. I've going on what is cheapest price per nappy. I didn't like the fit of the aldis ones and we had several leakages but sainsbutys have been doing 1/3 off with 105 huggies for £7 something. that was around 7p a nappy so I got 2 boxes. I think just actually being aware of how much things cost helped.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • LilacPixie wrote: »
    Hi again.

Well done :T I'll add this to December's Grocery challenge thread, to keeep ideas about cutting grocery spending together.

Have you joined this month's GC :confused: It's a Sticky Thread at the top of page 1 of Old Style ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family