PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Jamie Oliver, What is Semolina Flour?

Options
I was given the lovely Jamie Oliver Italian cook book for Christmas and have made the pizza bases already, they were very yummy by the way. The recipe did ask for semoilna flour if you had it, now I did have semolina that you use to make the pudding but I wasn't sure if this was what he meant, it isn't called flour on the box. I had a good look in Tescos and didn't find any. I forgot to ask OH's family so over to my OS buddies, any ideas? I will try to type up the recipe soon!

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

As far as I know - it's exactly the same stuff that you get in small granules to make semolina pudding with - but it's ground much finer.

So with a bit of luck you should get a reasonable result :)

Edit: The information in the link below, admittedly sparse, suggests that even if I'm not right - I'm close :)

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/info%5fF6160%2ehtml
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • nick_b
    nick_b Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also made pizzas tonight and used semolina as Jamie recommends. For best results I use TRS brand fine semolina. (You can find it in Asian food shops.)

PS. The pizzas were really good too ;)
    0_o
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Tesco's sells it - it's in the Asian section. I can't remember the price as I've never bought it but I don't think it was too pricey.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter has asked for crepes for breakfast today. Don't know where she got the idea, but it is usually difficult to get her to eat breakfast, so I will do them for her. I make pancakes for the rest of us, and she always refuses to eat them as she 'doesn't like pancakes'. Don't think I will bother to tell her that crepes are just 'skinny' pancakes lol!:D I only have a wee bit of milk too, so I will be making up some powdered milk. Shhhhhhh!:p
    Anyhoo, the only flour I have is semolina flour or wholemeal bread flour. I won't get to the shops until tomorrow when I will pick up a bag of flour, but do you think I could make them with semolina?
    I also fancy trying to make gnocchi for the first time as I have very limited food in, and want to try something different. I think the semolina may be ok for them. What do you think?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383
    Options
    Ok, just to answer the first half of my question.
    Just tried to make the pancakes with semolina. The bits are now waiting to cool down to go out to the birdies! Did not work at all!!
    It is possible to make quite yummy pancake/ crumpet type things with semolina flour but using yeast. They are called beghrir and are good, but as dd1 wanted crepes, I couldn't do them.
    She has ended up having fried bananas for her brekkie instead. I had some very black banana that the kids wouldn't eat, and I couldn't make banana bread with due to said lack of flour and bicarb. Split them in half and dry fried them in the pan and made a tiny drizzle of choc sauce with a bit of syrup and coco powder and water to pour over. She loved them!!!!
    Now, just have to see if I can do gnocchi with it . Don't want to waste any more food.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a recipe here for Gnocchi alla Romana, which you make using semolina. It's got milk in it so you might have to tweak it a bit, but it's really yummy (probably because it's full of cheese and butter lol).
  • rosie383
    Options
    Waow, they do look yummy, but as you say, they are full of cheese and butter so they are bound to taste great. I don't have any cheese other than a bit of emmenthal (sp?) anyway, so they will have to wait.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    as this has dropped down the board ive merged it with our semolina flour thread :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was given the lovely Jamie Oliver Italian cook book for Christmas and have made the pizza bases already, they were very yummy by the way. The recipe did ask for semoilna flour if you had it, now I did have semolina that you use to make the pudding but I wasn't sure if this was what he meant, it isn't called flour on the box. I had a good look in Tescos and didn't find any. I forgot to ask OH's family so over to my OS buddies, any ideas? I will try to type up the recipe soon!

You can get semolina flour in some health food shops as well - as somene else said it's just very finely ground semolina so at a pinch you could try whizzing semolins in a food processor or liquidiser.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wonder if you could use Rakusen`s potato flour available on the kosher section?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure