Freeview TV Setup (FREE) for Over 60 & Disabled

I was watching WAles Today (local BBC News) & the presenter was saying about Digital Switchover. They said that Disabled & OAP's can get FREE setup & install for Freeview TV.

Anyone heard of this? Who to ring or whats Free & what do we have to supply?

Comments

• There is something called the Switchover Help Scheme......not sure if this is the same thing.
    The Switchover Help Scheme can help you make the switch to digital TV.

We can help you convert your TV to digital if you:
    • Are aged 75 or over, or
    • Have lived in a care home for six months or more, or
    • Get (or could get) certain disability benefits, or
    • Are registered blind or partially sighted
    Check now to see if you could be eligible(CLICK HERE)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Ooh that sounds good. I got a freeview box last Christmas but haven't been able to get it to work yet. Although I'm assuming they wont provide a new aerial if that's the problem!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • we will provide you with easy-to-use equipment that suits your needs
    • we will help with installing equipment in your home
    • we will fit a new dish or aerial, where we can, if it is needed to make the new equipment work
    • we will give you an easy-to-understand demonstration of how everything works
    • and there will be someone you can call for help while you're getting used to things.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I was under the impression that this was only in areas that were due to be switched over, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Yep, it is only available in switchover areas. More details here.
    Gone ... or have I?

• Just spoken to a very helpful member of staff from the switchover scheme on Freephone 0800 40 85 900 who said you can ring up to register yourself on the Scheme but you don't have to as the information and application packs are being sent out automatically to all eligible people, with this information being supplied by the Department for Work and Pensions about 6 months before the switch over date of your TV Region, but if you have not heard from them within at least 4 months from your switch over date you should call them to get them to send you an application pack.

They also told me the following, which is all backed up on their website too:
    • The Scheme is available at a cost of £40 if you are aged 75 or over or the Scheme will be FREE to people of ANY AGE If you also get pension credit, income support or income-based jobseekers allowance, the help will be free.
    • Our region is Granada and is being switched over in Nov-Dec 2009, so we should get a pack in April/May.
    • The Scheme involveves being supplied with a piece of equipment such as either a Freeview Digital Box, Freesat System or Sky Tv system and also some options of Digital Recording Systems too, installation/tuning of the equipment and being shown how to use your new equipment.
    • If a new tv aerial or satelite dish is needed to make your new equipment work one will be provided and installed for you whether you under the above eligibility.

I've tried to include as much info as I could in this post and hope it helps someone.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Not available in my area yet, I'll keep an eye out for when it does happen though. Thanks for this, I didn't have a clue about it!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I was able to speak with the peeps who were on that digital tv roadshow and they will send you forms to fiill in nearer your area's switchover time in wales its next year starting with the analouge transmiter on Killvey Hill in Swansea.
  • Ames wrote: »
    Ooh that sounds good. I got a freeview box last Christmas but haven't been able to get it to work yet. Although I'm assuming they wont provide a new aerial if that's the problem!

There is an aerial company in Herts / North London that allways offers free Freeview setup for those that need it.

Certainly not a free aerial install but very helpful non the less.
  • thanks 4 the link. Glad others found it helpful. I only caught the tail end of the item on BBC News, so I tried googling but no joy.

Thanks again :T
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Would like to hear from those who already had help under this scheme. I think i have a couple of years before my area is switched over.

Just bought a LCD tv with a built in freeview. Was unhappy to find i cannot receive ITV and C4. It has something to do with the freeview people changing channel signals/strength and maybe my aerial is not compatible. Yet using my old freeview box, which i have not retuned, i can still receive ITV and C4.

:confused:
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure