This country....

Options

Comments

• Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »
    Do we have anything to export anymore. Looking around my house, I don't see anything made in the UK anymore. Lowering VAT to encourage us to spend may be a good idea, but we only going to buy goods made in other country's thus increasing our debt??

Exactly. For decades, our manufacturing base has been in decline, such that it is practically non-existant now. For our contribution to world trade, we have been relying on banking and other financial services to keep us going, and the current state of that is now ...... erm, let me see ...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One of the sweetest traits of the Daily Mail/Central Office crew is to run down the country that they call home, even though they actually know very little about this country or any other, it would seem.
  • SGE1
    SGE1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    Clown's wheeze is already unravelling, like to disclosure of secret plans for a RISE in VAT. How many more tax bombshells are there?

Your comments are starting to get somewhat irritating. Stop twisting media stories to fit your angry anti-government agenda.

The Government considers ALL options, and then sees what the impacts of each are, and makes an informed decision - isn't this how things should happen? You have a variety of options available (eg. lower VAT, keep it as it is, or increase it), and you compare the consequences of each, and pick the one you think is most suitable.

You may not agree with the conclusions the Government came to, but please, stop describing it as a "tax bombshell". How can a 1% rise be the end of the world, and a 2.5% decrease be considered as not enough, anyway?? Inconsistent attitudes don't exactly do wonders for credibility...
  • SGE1
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    The problem with means testing is that it rewards those who have borrowed to the hilt and spent like there was no tomorrow ... you know, the ones who caused all this sorry mess in the first place ... and penalises those who have been prudent and made sacrifices to save for their future.

Dave.

Why so much anger towards others? Why is everyone so bent on creating an "us" and "them" division? Those who borrowed too much aren't to blame, it's those who lent irresponsibly that are to blame.

With house prices increasing, do you blame people borrowing large amounts? And borrowing large amounts that banks appeared more than willing to lend? If a bank offers to lend you lots of money, given that they're normally risk averse, you assume it's because they're quite sure you can pay it back - and as a result, you assume you can pay it back. Then they hike rates up, and you're stuffed.

So please, if we could all just support each other in difficult times, instead of encouraging mob-like scapegoating, we'd probably all feel a lot better about things.

Oh and by the way, I'm a saver, rather than a borrower. I just don't believe that spewing bile against others is going to make me feel any better.
  • McSaver
    McSaver Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    Im a saver as you can tell by my username and this country wants you to do anything but save your money.
    Had £80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    :A Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner :A
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Those who borrowed too much aren't to blame, it's those who lent irresponsibly that are to blame.
    Right.....there's a concept, borrow beyond what you can afford, live beyond your means and then blame everybody else. Yes the people who lent money to those who couldn't afford it were wrong, but so were the idiots who borrowed it. It isn't rocket science, if you take out a loan you can't afford to repay, then surprise surprise ...you won't be able to afford to pay it, no good saying it's all his fault he shouldn't have loaned it to me.
    With house prices increasing, do you blame people borrowing large amounts? And borrowing large amounts that banks appeared more than willing to lend?
    Who said it was everyones god given right to own a house.
    If a bank offers to lend you lots of money, given that they're normally risk averse, you assume it's because they're quite sure you can pay it back - and as a result, you assume you can pay it back. Then they hike rates up, and you're stuffed.
    That's just a lame excuse used by people who over borrowed and want to blame somebody else, and given your a saver I'm surprised you'd repeat it.. If the banks were risk averse they wouldn't be teetering on the edge of bankruptcy left right and center. Interest rates go up and down, that's kind of what they've done since the dawn of finance, you factor that into your borrowing.
    Oh and by the way, I'm a saver, rather than a borrower.
    Then you should know better, because whilst you were doing what you were supposed to be, living within your means, working hard to secure a good future there were others who were living the life of the incompetent, living it up, and now the government is bailing them out with your tax pounds. The OP thinks it's bad now, well buckle up matey this rides gonna get a whole lot worse
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • SGE1
    Options
    tradetime wrote: »
    Right.....there's a concept, borrow beyond what you can afford, live beyond your means and then blame everybody else. Yes the people who lent money to those who couldn't afford it were wrong, but so were the idiots who borrowed it. It isn't rocket science, if you take out a loan you can't afford to repay, then surprise surprise ...you won't be able to afford to pay it, no good saying it's all his fault he shouldn't have loaned it to me.
    Who said it was everyones god given right to own a house.
    That's just a lame excuse used by people who over borrowed and want to blame somebody else, and given your a saver I'm surprised you'd repeat it.. If the banks were risk averse they wouldn't be teetering on the edge of bankruptcy left right and center. Interest rates go up and down, that's kind of what they've done since the dawn of finance, you factor that into your borrowing.
    Then you should know better, because whilst you were doing what you were supposed to be, living within your means, working hard to secure a good future there were others who were living the life of the incompetent, living it up, and now the government is bailing them out with your tax pounds. The OP thinks it's bad now, well buckle up matey this rides gonna get a whole lot worse

Things aren't always as black and white as you're suggesting. People that aren't financially savvy are easier to convince, confuse, and lead down paths that might not be beneficial. This isn't a question of good people saving, and bad people borrowing.

Why do you suggest that those now currently in trouble were "living it up"?

I think it would do everyone a bit of good to be a bit more understand of everyone else's circumstances. We've all got problems, and I don't think that your perception that half of the UK is bingeing on credit to live it up, is accurate.
  • 6022tivo
    6022tivo Posts: 781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To be honest, I wish I had no money or assets.. Worried sick at the moment.
  • Hungerdunger
    Options
    6022tivo wrote: »
    To be honest, I wish I had no money or assets.. Worried sick at the moment.
    I'm sure there are millions of people in the world who would love to be able to have your money and assets. Perhaps you need to count your relative blessings and stop worrying.
    "The trouble with quotations on the Internet is that you never know whether they are genuine" - Charles Dickens
  • gazza975526570
    Options
    "This Country"? well go find another one to live in where the grass is greener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure