This country....

Options
Well, yes I have been worried the last couple of days.. Not loosing sleep, just worried..

I have a decent savings bundle, and I fear it is getting more and more worthless by the day.

I see the pound getting weaker and weaker by the minute, and the government throwing money at problems, like they always do.

Now, call me stupid, but they are trying to get us spending again, but looking round my house today, most things are no longer made in the UK, so treating myself to a new TV, or another Xbox is going to help China, not the UK?? Or am I being stupid again.

After this current throw more money at a problem issue, we as a country are going to be close to bankrupt, so what will my pounds be worth then???

I feel unless I am a multimillionaire or a benefit scrounger I am yet again out of pocket..

WHY oh WHY is Darling making a big deal out of Child Benefit raising early?? Have children if you can afford them I say (I am a single parent with a child BTW, but can afford him). Also does a multimillionaire or even someone earning over 100,000k need child benefit...

Also, this heating handout for "winter", why does a millionaire pensioner need £250 of tax payers money, or even a state pension raise???

Why aren't these benefits means tested??

Also while I am on, I now know so many people who don't want a job at the moment, as they will lose mega benefits.. Income Support, JSA, housing benefit, council tax benefit, dental, prescriptions and on and on.. I understand why these guys are happy to nip down to the post office with card in hand every week.. Why can't they go and sign in to a center everyday, to check jobs, do some council work for the council benefit??? The 17 yr old next door gets an additional £30 to go to a college course to talk about life and the future with others??? Why are they paying for that?? If they are on benefits they should not have anything else going on, so go as part of being paid to live off the state.....

Sorry for having a depressed Tuesday morning rant...... :confused:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see the pound getting weaker and weaker by the minute

Compared to what? It was too high to begin with. What did you do on previous occasions when the pound was at this level or lower?
    After this current throw more money at a problem issue, we as a country are going to be close to bankrupt, so what will my pounds be worth then???

Borrowing is heavier but its not close to that.

The recession doesnt look like it will be as bad as the 70s and 80s. Probably around the level of the 90s. What did you do in those recessions with your money that is different now?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    You must be depressed - today's Wednesday.

Yep, I agree with you on a lot of those things.

Why not get the unemployed working on social projects?

Why aren't more benefits means tested - I'm sure the Queen, Mick Jagger etc don't need the extra £60 pensioner payment.

Let the government tell it as it really is - then we can have an austerity budget for a couple of years......standard rate of tax up 2p, freeze on public sector jobs & pay. Equalisation of private pension arrangements between public/private sector, moderation in MPs expenses etc etc

Get out of Iraq/Afganistan (that would save a bomb).

Make it a condition of using NHS that self inflicted injuries ie sports/car/drink induced accidents have to be insured against.

etc etc etc
  • 6022tivo
    Options
    You must be depressed - today's Wednesday.

Yep, I agree with you on a lot of those things.

Why not get the unemployed working on social projects?

Why aren't more benefits means tested - I'm sure the Queen, Mick Jagger etc don't need the extra £60 pensioner payment.

Let the government tell it as it really is - then we can have an austerity budget for a couple of years......standard rate of tax up 2p, freeze on public sector jobs & pay. Equalisation of private pension arrangements between public/private sector, moderation in MPs expenses etc etc

Get out of Iraq/Afganistan (that would save a bomb).

Make it a condition of using NHS that self inflicted injuries ie sports/car/drink induced accidents have to be insured against.

etc etc etc

You make a lot of sense, and say it in a controlled manner.. lol

Yep, all points correct, social projects, i.e. a centre, or even cleaning up estates in the day for benefit claimants. I can imagine after a day of cleaning graffiti from walls they would bullock the kids if they saw them with a aerosol can rather than now when could not be bothered.

Maybe the drink industry should pay for ALL drink related NHS care and for the policing at the weekends in town centres.. Maybe this will solve the bargain booze problems, and kids could not afford drinking...

Anyways, thanks for the heads up for it being Wednesday.
  • 6022tivo
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Compared to what? It was too high to begin with. What did you do on previous occasions when the pound was at this level or lower?

Borrowing is heavier but its not close to that.

The recession doesnt look like it will be as bad as the 70s and 80s. Probably around the level of the 90s. What did you do in those recessions with your money that is different now?

I am in my early 30's, can't remember much about the 70's and 80's. But I managed to get a investment into a house very early, so I was lucky, and am now as I am well onto the property ladder. But I save like mad, and I am very tight "Careful" about everything. It pains me when I see people wasting and using credit like everyday cash..

I think maybe I am wrong about the pound, I do remember when it was this level against the dollar, but we should of taken more of a advantage when it was strong to protect us, I feel we are well out of position compaired to other countries.

We need to halt the mega increases in public spending that we have seen over the years, as we can not simply afford them.
  • mewwem
    Options

I hope mick Jagger doesn't get it after all he is a tax exile mind you that didn't stop them making him kinght
  • twizzel
    Options
    Why aren't more benefits means tested

Thing is, means testing costs money, so its probably cheaper to pay everyone rather than spend £xmillions workingout who shouldn't get it.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    twizzel wrote: »
    Thing is, means testing costs money, so its probably cheaper to pay everyone rather than spend £xmillions workingout who shouldn't get it.

Just my view - tax office knows who high rate taxpayers are - wouldn't be rocket science to link N I Nos of those to a reduced rate of payout.
  • twizzel
    Options
    good point
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    Clown's wheeze is already unravelling, like to disclosure of secret plans for a RISE in VAT. How many more tax bombshells are there?
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Why aren't more benefits means tested

The problem with means testing is that it rewards those who have borrowed to the hilt and spent like there was no tomorrow ... you know, the ones who caused all this sorry mess in the first place ... and penalises those who have been prudent and made sacrifices to save for their future.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport