PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the Panasonic one with a timer and a yeast drawer.

Am I correct in thinking that I'd be able to set it up the night before so that I'd have a dough ready at 8am to take out of the bread maker, form into rolls and place in the oven?

I've got the earlier version with the timer & nut dispenser but no yeast drawer. On mine, the timer doesn't work on the dough settings, other than pizza base dough. Might be worth googling for the manual for the model you are considering and have a quick check whether they've added the option for timer on the dough settings too for this model.
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that I'd be able to set it up the night before so that I'd have a dough ready at 8am to take out of the bread maker, form into rolls and place in the oven?

According to the instructions with my Panasonic, you're supposed to use the dough straight away and it won't let you set the timer on the dough programme. However...the dough programme only takes 45 mins, so in the past I've made the dough the night before, with less yeast and sugar to slow the rising down. Then just left it covered overnight, ready to use in the morning. I've done this a few times and it worked fine.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So could I set a bread programme with the timer and just intercept at the right moment to get the dough out?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • bitemebankers
    Options
    I guess that might work.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this bread maker recipe? I found it via Pinterest.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/994/best-bread-machine-loaf.aspx

The recipe on the .com site has had more than 1800 reviews!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-bread-machine-bread/Detail.aspx

I made the white loaf today, using the measurments from the uk site.

The best white bread I have made, the only change I will make next time is to change the amount of sugar, it says to use 2 tbs but I will try with 1 and half next time.

I would def give it a go if you are not having much luck with white bread (mine was always either too stodgy or had a yeasty smell/taste to it).

;)
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thinking of getting the Panasonic one with a timer and a yeast drawer.

This sounds like the Panasonic machine I've got - is it the newer model in black/silver? If so, the timer can only be used for loaves, not the dough programme. Also, I have to warn you that the yeast dispenser can be very noisy when it releases the yeast, so it might wake you up if you set the machine to make a loaf during the night!
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2013 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Was wondering if such a thread existed and then suddenly I noticed it today and had a good read and got some tips from other posters. Grand.

I'm fairly new at home breadmaking and still experimenting and improving I hope with savoury rustic breads and wholewheat loaves.

I usually mix the dough in a breadmaker (ancient and starting to go home) and then do the rest myself (don't like the bread made in the breadmaker myself).

Favourite recipe for classic white bloomer so far is in fact one of the simplest.

500g strong white flour
    2 tsp salt (I use coarse sea salt, v tasty)
    2 tsp quick yeast
    320 ml cold water (cold if proving overnight, the usual warm water if doing in a morning)
    1 tbsp olive oil

I also spritz the top with water and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds just before baking which is nice too.
    Doing it all on the same day works well, but a much better taste and better openish texture when it is proved overnight in the fridge, taken out in the morning, knocked back, shaped and left to rise for 30-60 minutes depending on temp in kitchen.

I tried various versions using sugar but didn't like the sweet tinge to the bread so have cut that out completely with no downside I can see. Also tempted to try replacing olive oil with a good sunflower oil to see if that is good...

Cheers
  • bitemebankers
    Options
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Also tempted to try replacing olive oil with a good sunflower oil to see if that is good

Have you tried cold-pressed rapeseed oil. It's Britain's answer to olive oil. Good for you and the slightly nutty taste seems to work well in bread.
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried cold-pressed rapeseed oil. It's Britain's answer to olive oil. Good for you and the slightly nutty taste seems to work well in bread.

I will try that also and a healthier option too, perfect.

I know there are simple recipes without oil (except to prevent dryness when proving), has anyone tried this, success? or not?

Cheers
  • bitemebankers
    Options
    Most recipes turn out okay if you simply omit the oil/fat - the only difference is that the texture isn't as good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport