PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've just discovered why its previous owner has passed it on. Wholemeal and granary mixtures need a longr proving-time so using it on the basic option might mean it doesn't rise well
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've just discovered why its previous owner has passed it on. Wholemeal and granary mixtures need a longr proving-time so using it on the basic option might mean it doesn't rise well

LOL - You're probably right about the previous owner! Gotta love Freecycle.

I have received a few really super things but on other occasions I've just been an easier disposal service than a trip to the tip! Hey ho - you win some, you lose some.:)
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Has anyone tried this bread maker recipe? I found it via Pinterest.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/994/best-bread-machine-loaf.aspx

The recipe on the .com site has had more than 1800 reviews!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-bread-machine-bread/Detail.aspx
  • CT19720
    CT19720 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this bread maker recipe? I found it via Pinterest.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/994/best-bread-machine-loaf.aspx

The recipe on the .com site has had more than 1800 reviews!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-bread-machine-bread/Detail.aspx

I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago, and although it was OK, the texture of it is more of a cake, and very dense as opposed to the fluffyish texture it looks like on your top link.

Only has my bm about 3 weeks, and although I have perfected a really fab brown bread, a nice fluffy white one like you get in a bakers has aluded me, and I am still searching for the perfect white loaf. If I could make a fab white bread, then I would never have to buy another loaf.
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    It is also time to save - Aim £4,000 - So far this year - £230/£4,000
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CT19720 wrote: »
    I tried this recipe a couple of weeks ago, and although it was OK, the texture of it is more of a cake, and very dense as opposed to the fluffyish texture it looks like on your top link.

Only has my bm about 3 weeks, and although I have perfected a really fab brown bread, a nice fluffy white one like you get in a bakers has aluded me, and I am still searching for the perfect white loaf. If I could make a fab white bread, then I would never have to buy another loaf.

That is what I found, really nice brown bread but I can never get the white like shop bought white sliced bread.

I have never get a white looking loaf, they always have a yellow tint to them.
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    However, hit a snag this morning. I was trying granary bread for the first time and when I set it to cook (option 4 on menu), absolutely nothing happened.

Have you tried leaving it for a while? On some programmes my Panasonic lets the mixture stand for some time (over half an hour) before it starts the kneading.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can use canerel instead of castor sugar?

I have just picked up the wrong jar and added canderel by mistake.
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use canerel instead of castor sugar?

I have just picked up the wrong jar and added canderel by mistake.

The bread won't rise as well because the yeast needs the sugar to grow vigorously. It should still be edible though.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The bread won't rise as well because the yeast needs the sugar to grow vigorously. It should still be edible though.

I thought that may be the case, it has just finished and although has risen a bit, hasn't spread much.

Never mind, I will have another go.

I have never made a decent white loaf on fastbake so was trying this:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23411/best-breadmaker-bread-lovely-white-loaf.aspx
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thinking of getting the Panasonic one with a timer and a yeast drawer.

Am I correct in thinking that I'd be able to set it up the night before so that I'd have a dough ready at 8am to take out of the bread maker, form into rolls and place in the oven?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure