What do I do ??

Options
I bought an item on ebay on 15th December and paid via paypal the same day. The item was £ 3 with a postage cost of £ 4 so total £ 7. Well I still haven't received it. I know the Xmas post is mad but even so. I e-mailed the seller ( who only just replied today ) and she said she posted it 22nd December ( she thinks ) and has offered to send me the posting slip. I'll give it another week just in case but .......... I think it's lost. I have no reason to disbelieve the seller sent it. But what do I do ? I'm £ 7 out of pocket for something I didn't get - and btw it was normal postage, it was just heavy.

Suggestions ??

Comments

• jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

I would give it till friday / saturday latest

If it doesnt turn up email and ask the seller to refund you the £7
    The onus is on the seller to refund you and make a claim against the Post Office ( not you to make a claim the PO ).

If she wont refund there is always the Paypal chargeback route.
    But since the seller is replying to emails, i would if it doesnt turn up ask for a refund first.

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • me4bargains
    me4bargains Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    Options
    IMO this seller had behaved pretty badly by posting the goods a week after payment so close to Christmas.
    Suppose you wanted the goods in time for Christmas?
    I would do a chargeback immediately.
    Third time lucky on WW I hope :j
    January: 13st 11lb :eek:, February: 13st 2.5lb, March: 12st 13lb, April: 12st 10.5lb, May: 12st 2lb, June: 12st 1lb, July: 12st 1lb, August: 11st 11lb, September: 11st 10.5lb, October: 11st 12.5lb, Currently 11st 8lb
  • jaffa30
    Options
    Have you ever thought a bit tact and diplomacy may work a lot better than OHHH lets do a chargeback.

The rights or wrongs of posting arent in question here its wether or not the item is going to turn up.

Seeing the seller is replying to emails theres no need to jump in with both feet assuming the worst.

Jaffa
  • jaffa30
    Options
    IMO this seller had behaved pretty badly by posting the goods a week after payment so close to Christmas.
    Suppose you wanted the goods in time for Christmas?

The seller according to Paypals own rules has upto 7 days after payment to send the item.

So they havent done anything wrong

Jaffa
  • Apple_2
    Apple_2 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

This has never happened to me before so......

I'll leave it till next Monday to see if it turns up. If it doesn't I'll e-mail the seller and ask for the £ 7 refund ( I'll explain she needs to claim with the receipt not me ). If no joy there ( maybe another week ) I'll do this chargeback. What do I do ? I thought the paypal protection thing had a minimum I was under ? How do I do a chargeback please ?

Thanks
  • jaffa30
    Options
    HI Apple
    The seller should refund straight away if the item doesnt turn up.
    I wouuld give it till saturday then ask for a refund if it does show up you can always pay her again.

If she doesnt and you do need to do a chargeback

Click on the actual transaction
    The at the bottom of that
    Click on Resolution cntre and follow the destructions.

Jaffa
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree, why should the seller refund? If this were a store they would not refund automatically. They would inform you to wait a reasonable amount of time and then start an investigation/claim process.

Further, there is no onus on either buyer or seller to make the claim via Royal Mail should it come to that (check their website and it asks are you the sender or receiver.)

My EBay t & c's always state:

"In the event of damaged/lost items, the buyer must claim compensation from Royal Mail, though I will assist as much as possible. "

I have had a PS2 break whilst in transit, i forwarded the postage slip to the buyer who initiated the claim. Royal Mail emailed me, asked for my version of events, which i provided, the buyer was then issued a full refund for the cost of a replacement PS2.

But in your situation, give it a few more days to let the Xmas/New Year backlog a chance to get delivered and if after say Saturday your parcel has not arrived, either you or the seller start the claim with Royal Mail.
  • OllieLong
    OllieLong Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Ivrytwr3 wrote:
    My EBay t & c's always state:

"In the event of damaged/lost items, the buyer must claim compensation from Royal Mail, though I will assist as much as possible. "
    This may be the case but PayPal T + Cs overrule this and it is up to the seller to make the claim (unless the buyer is happy to do it). If someone asked me to do the claim I would say no it is up to you (as the seller). Also Royal Mail do not consider something lost until at least 15 working days have passed and most people would expect a refund before this.
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    jaffa30 wrote:
    Hi

I would give it till friday / saturday latest

If it doesnt turn up email and ask the seller to refund you the £7
    The onus is on the seller to refund you and make a claim against the Post Office ( not you to make a claim the PO ).

If she wont refund there is always the Paypal chargeback route.
    But since the seller is replying to emails, i would if it doesnt turn up ask for a refund first.

Jaffa

if you only paid for noraml post- the royal mail will only compensate in a book of first class stamps.
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    OllieLong wrote:
    This may be the case but PayPal T + Cs overrule this and it is up to the seller to make the claim (unless the buyer is happy to do it). If someone asked me to do the claim I would say no it is up to you (as the seller). Also Royal Mail do not consider something lost until at least 15 working days have passed and most people would expect a refund before this.

i would always make the claim but i also state that buyers can have recorded, special or insured delivery if they like and if they choose standard mail i wont refund them ill only pass on the compensation from the royal mail coz its not my fault is it if they only choose normal mail- if i buy something i always pay extra for recorded.
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport