We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NEW YOUNG DRIVER Best brokers anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, doing the insurance that way isn't a good idea. My understanding is that the policy holder should be the main driver of the vehicle, by insuring the car with a parent as the main driver, the insurance company will be basing the cost of the policy on the parent driving the car the majority of the time, not the child, therefore the risk is lower. If this isn't the case in reality, you are making a false declaration and if the insurance company found out, they could refuse to pay in the event of a claim (there are other more serious consequences too). Also, at least if the insurance is in his name now, he will start to build a no claims bonus now (hopefully!) When I took out my first policy, I told the insurance company I was planning to take the Pass Plus course and they gave me the discount on the condition that I had to complete the couse within the 12 month period of the policy, so this might be worth trying?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    With the young man next door the insurance is in his Mum's name with him as the named other driver. The annoying thing is that the mother does not drive although she has a licence. On the Money programme on BBC2 a few months ago they covered this subject and said it's illegal or something.

The technical name for this is "policy fronting", i.e. giving false details/fraud. If an accident happens and it's obvious the young un is the main driver, then the mother could be in for more hassle than she'd imagine. The young un also isn't building up a NCB. If insurance is not affordable the options are to make the car a more insurance friendly one, or to wait a few years before driving. I paid £700 for my first insurance policy aged 26, had I been 17 it would have been nearer £3500 for the exact same car.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    ford fiesta and ka. skoda fabia,citroen c2 fiat cinquicento,seat arosa are all low insurance groups. try these in search engines such as confused.com and insurance supermarket.co.uk see what kind of difference they make.
    ...work permit granted!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    We used Tesco ins for a car, used by my OH and daughter, the ncb was carried over to daughter when she insured her own Peugeot 107, she's just turned 21 and they gave her the 4yrs she had been on the other insurance. BTW the 107C1/Aygo is a great 1st car, cheap to run, tax £35.00 and her insurance is £275.00
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ecarinsurance were best for my lad, £1040 TPF&T, 1.0L Corsa although he was 18 at the time, they did a Pass Plus discount but needed the certificate number to qualify for the discount. Also some cashback from quidco helped.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest insurance is a funny game - I pay £1k a year to insure my group 11 car third party, but then the insurers know a Proton Wira isn't face and is usually driven by the elderly so it's not as much as other group 11's - I've even found a 2L RWD Volvo 340 fully comp for £1,500!
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    No, it's illegal to insure the vehicle in the parents name and then for the youngster to then be the main driver, that is called fronting and the insurance companies are wise to it. Adding an experienced driver to the young inexperienced drivers policy though, usually reduces the premium.

Espresso, it must be the way I tell 'em. The insurance for the car they have next door IS in the mother's name and the son (since he was 18) is a named driver. He is the main driver.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    We used Tesco ins for a car, used by my OH and daughter, the ncb was carried over to daughter when she insured her own Peugeot 107, she's just turned 21 and they gave her the 4yrs she had been on the other insurance. BTW the 107C1/Aygo is a great 1st car, cheap to run, tax £35.00 and her insurance is £275.00

I'll send my g/son a copy of your post. I didn't know that thenumber of years a person had on a policy as a named driver with no claims could be carried over. That's good to know.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Don't know if it applies to companies other than Tesco but I somehow doubt it. There was originally OH as main driver and DD as named one. When she phoned them up she had originally claimed 1 yrs ncb as they had not been doing it for long but the kind lady at Tesco said no, it was 4 yrs so result.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    Espresso, it must be the way I tell 'em. The insurance for the car they have next door IS in the mother's name and the son (since he was 18) is a named driver. He is the main driver.

:confused:

See if this article here explains fronting better then?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport