NEW YOUNG DRIVER Best brokers anyone?

Options
My grandson has just passed his test and I am buying his first car but it looks like he will finish up with a cheap motor and very expensive insurance.
His parents have been checking on line and some quotes are over £6000.
Can anyone give any advice/tips about getting insurance for a small car for
a sensible student age 17.

The 22 year old who lives next door passed his test about three years ago and his car is insured in his mother's name but we are not keen on this idea.
I understand he would not be covered in an accident.

Any tips/ideas will be most gratefully received.

Comments

• hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    by something small 1.0 - 1.2

used confused.com etc and see who is the cheapest
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fact that he is a sensible student of 17 years does not matter as he will be lumped in with all of the 17 year old boy racers! Best to get a low group car and check the comparison sites but he is still likely to pay probably £1500 for TPFT.

Note engine size is not everything e.g. a Ka with a 1.3L engine is usually cheaper than say a smaller engined Corsa.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    The fact that he is a sensible student of 17 years does not matter as he will be lumped in with all of the 17 year old boy racers! Best to get a low group car and check the comparison sites but he is still likely to pay probably £1500 for TPFT.

Note engine size is not everything e.g. a Ka with a 1.3L engine is usually cheaper than say a smaller engined Corsa.

yes, its all down to statistics really
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently it might help if one of his parents is added as an additional driver. Check it out might help.

Boys are horrendously expensive to insure compared to girls.
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Options
    It definitely helped whan I had my Mum as a named driver on my policy when I was in my late teens. This doesn't apply to all insurance companies though, as some will just charge extra for additional drivers. Get your grandson to look into the Pass Plus course, it got me the equivalent of a years NCD on my first policy. Also, check that the car you buy him is in a low insurance group, you can check the group on the ABI website.... http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »

I do realise the way it works espresso and we would be happy with a £1500 quote.
    I have not come across that TP.. what is it? When I mentioned today that "you are looking for 3rd party etc.." they said there was hardly any difference so, no, they weren't. I will report your comments to them now i.e. about the engine size.
  • espresso
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    I do realise the way it works espresso and we would be happy with a £1500 quote.
    I have not come across that TP.. what is it? When I mentioned today that "you are looking for 3rd party etc.." they said there was hardly any difference so, no, they weren't. I will report your comments to them now i.e. about the engine size.

Unfortunately young men's premiums are probably about three to four times the cost of young women's.

TPTF is Third Party Fire & Theft and I don't think that fully comprehensive would be a possibility.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    Third Party

if your getting quotes over 1.5k you are looking at the wrong insurers and cars
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Cazza wrote: »
    It definitely helped whan I had my Mum as a named driver on my policy when I was in my late teens. This doesn't apply to all insurance companies though, as some will just charge extra for additional drivers. Get your grandson to look into the Pass Plus course, it got me the equivalent of a years NCD on my first policy. Also, check that the car you buy him is in a low insurance group, you can check the group on the ABI website.... http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/

The Pass Plus is already sorted but the instructor cannot do it for a while.
    With the young man next door the insurance is in his Mum's name with him as the named other driver. The annoying thing is that the mother does not drive although she has a licence. On the Money programme on BBC2 a few months ago they covered this subject and said it's illegal or something.
  • espresso
    Options
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    The Pass Plus is already sorted but the instructor cannot do it for a while.
    With the young man next door the insurance is in his Mum's name with him as the named other driver. The annoying thing is that the mother does not drive although she has a licence. On the Money programme on BBC2 a few months ago they covered this subject and said it's illegal or something.

No, it's illegal to insure the vehicle in the parents name and then for the youngster to then be the main driver, that is called fronting and the insurance companies are wise to it. Adding an experienced driver to the young inexperienced drivers policy though, usually reduces the premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure