Grrr - blue badge

Comments

• Babshubbie
    Babshubbie Posts: 116 Forumite
    Brmbaz44 wrote: »
    Is it true that you still have to display a valid pay & display ticket in NHS disabled car parks even if you are displaying the Blue Badge & Time badge.The car park was Royal Shrewsbury Hospital run by CP-Plus Ltd.your thoughts please. Brmbaz

It depends on the hospital. We don't have to pay in my area if you display a valid Blue Badge, whether you are lucky enough to find one of the limited disabled bays or have to park in another space.
  • I have a daughter who is 17 and severly disabled. People parking in disabled bays without a blue badge are my bugbear and i am not frienghtend to ask if they have a badge. If thye say no but i just want to go to the cash machine or pop in the shop quickly i then polietly ask them if they would like my daughters disability as we would very much like her to be healthy and then we can have choice of lots and lots of parking bays that are allocated to people without a disability. It normaly works.
  • bekst
    bekst Posts: 27 Forumite
    I get the most evil looks from people.. my son is 3, and in a carseat, so when I pull up people stand there and steer, till I open boot and get out his wheel chair.

I need to open his door really wide to get him out of car as he cant suport of help me as he paralised. I wouldnt mine the glares if he could walk out the car or the people glaring couldnt walk but they can arghhhh. He also not a little 3, he became ill and was on a lot of steroids so he now a monster to lift.

• sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a daughter who is 17 and severly disabled. People parking in disabled bays without a blue badge are my bugbear and i am not frienghtend to ask if they have a badge. QUOTE]

Yes thats my bug bear. Recently I was visiting a friend in hospital. Now there are lots of spaces, OK you have to pay in car park but if feeling mean and fit you can park easily in local roads. But no many of the visitors were using the blue badge of person in hospital to park in bays nearby, openly said this is what they were doing too! End result those who genuinely want to use the badge cant park close. Hospital is built on the side of hill with bays dotted around main building and units at the back. Somehow when I'm a visitor it doesnt seem right to park at front and seek a porter to take me to a ward to visit someone else so I struggled to do it myself and paid the consequnces.
  • I have blue badge and as yet dont get dla but need it as cant walk far and need door open fully to get out otherwise my knee collapses. I also have 6yr old with autistic and behavioural probs and get questioned regulary about it AS I'M YOUNG!!!!!!! well I just say to them if you want my pain and you want not to be able to do stuff with your child and have to take regular doses of morphine then go for it. Even when my son has to help me get mobility scooter out I still get THE LOOKS.
    If they start not letting me park just because I dont mobilty dla then I will defo go to my MP and get it sorted
  • P4ula
    P4ula Posts: 53 Forumite
    daska wrote: »
    I know it's legal, it doesn't make it fair - I just want to have a good whinge about it. I am right about this rule discriminating against lower income households - and that has nothing to do with the principles behind paying for tax discs, or qualifying for a blue badge/HRM or the principles behind means-tested benefits.

N.B. Our local council has upped the restrictions on the layby in only bit of road in the town centre where we used to be able to park to 'no stopping at any time'.

Yes, I can appreciate you're having a whinge. But unfortunately you are preaching to the converted here and nothing will change as a result.

It might be an idea to write to your local councillors (also ask other blue badge holders if you seem them parked) to do the same. Print off some sheets with local councillors names and addresses on to give them - then they might not forget to write in.

Also get them to write to your local MP as well. See if the local press will take up your case and run a story.

It's the only way things will change - people power.

Paula
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I find it annoying that I cannot park in the disabled space at my son's school. He has complex needs and receives the higher rate of DLA for both care and mobility and has a blue badge, but the headteacher is within her rights to refuse to let me park in the disabled space, even though it would be easier for him to get into school. Instead, I have to park on the road outside the school, sometimes too far away for him to walk the distance comfortably.

If the rules for blue badges included car parks, I could park on the school car park when taking him to school and when collecting him.
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    me thinks u nee a serious chat with the head teacher,,if she cares about her pupils health and saftey,she should have no problem you using the disabled parking bay,,any 1 who has a blue badge can park in a disabled bay even 1 outside your own house,,have a word with head teacher and state your case and do not take no for an answer :)( good luck I say from scotland)
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2009 at 7:29PM
    I find it annoying that I cannot park in the disabled space at my son's school. He has complex needs and receives the higher rate of DLA for both care and mobility and has a blue badge, but the headteacher is within her rights to refuse to let me park in the disabled space, even though it would be easier for him to get into school. Instead, I have to park on the road outside the school, sometimes too far away for him to walk the distance comfortably.

If the rules for blue badges included car parks, I could park on the school car park when taking him to school and when collecting him.

I get HRM and I couldn't walk from outside the gates of any of the schools my kid's have attended! I actually don't even attempt to go to my son's school now because, although they claim to have a disabled bay I haven't managed to find it yet...!

How would he get to school if you didn't take him? Would he qualify for transport? Did you know that local authority transport to/from school should be 'non-stressful' in order for the child to benefit from the education provided? If walking from outside the school gates is stressful for him I would have thought you'd have good grounds for contacting the education dept of your local council and getting them involved.

Edited to add this link to IPSEA's page on transport. Hope it helps! They're very helpful if you want to ring for more suggestions on how to deal with problems like this.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    colin13 wrote: »
    any 1 who has a blue badge can park in a disabled bay even 1 outside your own house

not if it's in a car park and the person with the blue badge can't comply with a rule that says they can only park there if they have a free tax disc or the car is pink or it's a sunday between 00.13 and 00.23
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business