PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making my own butter! (merged)

Options

Comments

• CravingSaving
    Options
    Just bumping this thread as I think more people are into making stuff for themselves. I am certainly going to give it a go if I find any reduced price cream.
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • JonTurner
    Options
    This is why I love the Old Style board- so many fantastic ideas that I'd never even considered before! I'm going to make some garlic butter, that'll be really useful and so much cheaper than shop-bought!
  • trixietoes
    Options
    Me too, can't wait. Not quite master the art of bread making yet though, but am going to keep trying... I don't have a bread maker, may invest in one though as it seems to make life easier.
    "People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like" - Clive Hamilton on Consumerism.
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this thread up, I'm just waiting for all that reduced price cream at the end of december :)
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • izzy1969_2
    Options
    Hi everyone - what a fantastic thread! I really want to try but have a question. I have a Magimix 5100. Can I make butter in that? I doesn't have a whisk, but along with the chopping blade, seems to have a kind of beater? Can I use this?

Thanks for any advice.

Izzy :j
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Read this thread aggggeeeess ago, then last night spotted 3 pots of cream reduced. They were big pots 600mls reduced from £1.66 to 52p so a bargain but as I hadn't done butter before I only bought one pot.
    Kids and I used some on the night for pudding (on profiterols yummy). Then today I wacked the rest into the Kenwood. Oh my word how delicious. Kicking myself that I didn't get all 3 tubs.
    I probably had about 400 mls (or a bit more) and it mad quite a bit, I put it in a small tub so hard to say exactly but reckon it is over half a normal sized block of butter.
    Used the buttermilk to make scones (did a double batch to make good use of the oven). Just had one whilst still warm with the fresh butter on mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    too yummy for words lol.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Just bumping this ready for all the reduced cream :D

I bought 2L of double cream today.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • mwa
    mwa Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    OK I know I am ridiculously excited over what many of you probably do all the time but I MADE BUTTER! I can't believe it worked out, was expecting it to go wrong as many of my efforts do but it didn't and I now have a lovely little lump (prob about 100g) in my fridge which I just enjoyed with some scones and jam.

All I did (for those not in the know) was pour 1/2 tub of double cream into a lidded tupperware cup with 1/2 tsp salt (you can use a jam jar or similar as long as there is plenty of shaking room) and shook it for about 20 mins until it started sloshing and there were little yellow lumps of butter in buttermilk. I then squeezed out the excess buttermilk under cold running water and then put it in an airtight container in the fridge.

I am amazed! I always see cheap cream reduced and never get it as I don't use it but I will get it and make butter from now on.

MWA
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's great isn't it - the feeling of achievement when you first hear the "bump" against the lid of the jar as you're shaking!

Well done! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • darcyvuqua
    darcyvuqua Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    mwa wrote: »
    OK I know I am ridiculously excited over what many of you probably do all the time but I MADE BUTTER! I can't believe it worked out, was expecting it to go wrong as many of my efforts do but it didn't and I now have a lovely little lump (prob about 100g) in my fridge which I just enjoyed with some scones and jam.

All I did (for those not in the know) was pour 1/2 tub of double cream into a lidded tupperware cup with 1/2 tsp salt (you can use a jam jar or similar as long as there is plenty of shaking room) and shook it for about 20 mins until it started sloshing and there were little yellow lumps of butter in buttermilk. I then squeezed out the excess buttermilk under cold running water and then put it in an airtight container in the fridge.

I am amazed! I always see cheap cream reduced and never get it as I don't use it but I will get it and make butter from now on.

MWA
    how did you do the high lighted bit im going to try tonight!!!
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport