We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

prove me wrong

Options
Ebay dont care about counterfeit goods. Or do they?

This seller is selling copies of harry potter.

lets see what we can do about his active user status and/or his current listings

Comments

• Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wig wrote:
    Ebay dont care about counterfeit goods. Or do they?

This seller is selling copies of harry potter.

lets see what we can do about his active user status and/or his current listings

You have too much spare time on your hands.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe so, but I just reported his listings, sit back and wait now.

Goodnight.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Road_Hog wrote:
    You have too much spare time on your hands.

I totally agree. I can imagine people just searching for these kinds of listings and nothing else. We all know its illegal but who cares??? Have you never ever sold/bought a copied cd/dvd/piece of software? If you say no I won't believe you :D
  • donstermonster
    Options
    He is doing nothing wrong as he clearly states you must own the original article, the person buying is actuallly committing fraud if they do NOT own the original article.

It IS ok by Ebay for people to do this as they cannnot "police" who buys them

I am sure nothing will come of this as i say the seller is not doing anything wrong but the buyer might be if they do not own them in the first place
    donstermonster :D
  • nightswimmer
    Options
    He is doing nothing wrong as he clearly states you must own the original article, the person buying is actuallly committing fraud if they do NOT own the original article.

Sorry, but what he is doing is against the law. His little disclaimer isn't worth a jot.
  • Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options

Not true!
    It is Illegal to copy a music CD or a DVD regardless of how many copies of the original you own. Thats why they incorporate copy protection into the discs and by circumventing the protection you are breaking the law.
    Software is a different matter because of the way the licensing works.
    Having said that though it's not my job or anyone elses here to report these people... that's what lawyers get paid for ;)
  • mike230652
    Options
    Searcher

Well said...the amount of people who hide behind the " you can make a copy of your own cd/dvd " astounds me...

Still, if he/she's happy enough / stupid enough to sell copies ..and doubtless a crap quality one at that..for a few quid and risk TS landing on their doorsteps is beyond me!!

They are most certainly NOT nice people to have knocking!!

Mike
    if i had known then what i know now
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Excellent!
    Been looking for these...........
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    Searcher wrote:
    Not true!
    It is Illegal to copy a music CD or a DVD regardless of how many copies of the original you own.
    That's true.
    Thats why they incorporate copy protection into the discs and by circumventing the protection you are breaking the law.

I don't think that's true here yet - it only applies in the US, with its (in many ways dreadful) Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

It makes me giggle that people believe his disclaimer. I wonder if they also believe friendly emails that come from Nigeria? He can't even spell "copyright".

It also makes me giggle that people thank the opening poster for finding the items. Their ability to do eBay searches must be astonishingly poor. :rolleyes:
    Having said that though it's not my job or anyone elses here to report these people... that's what lawyers get paid for ;)

Oh I don't know. You could say that it's no-one's job to pick up litter because the council pays people to do it. Of course everyone pays for this through their council tax, and the litter sits around until a council employee appears to remove it. But if you don't give a toss about being public-spirited then there's not much anyone can say to change your mind.

At least picking up litter actually does some good... :(
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • donstermonster
    Options
    This is the legal stance as it currently stands in the UK

Q: Is it legal to copy a DVD?
    A: The fair-use protection act allows you to make a copy of your own media for backup purposes. We do not condone pirating or unauthorized copying of DVD media.
    donstermonster :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family