PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Homemade wine

Options

Comments

• mjhmjh2
    mjhmjh2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    llykstw wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! It settled down after 2-3 days (it's a kit, as you suggested mjhmjh2) and it seems to be doing fine now. It must just have been the first couple of days' vigorous fermentation, and now it's settled down. I think I did indeed put rather too much into the demijohn, and overfilled it! I'll follow pol's guidance and leave 3-4 inches next time. Thanks for all the help!

I'd love to make cider, but have a really hard job finding the right apples. I get a massive load of cooking apples from a tree in my garden, but my local brewshop tells me that you can't make cider from cooking apples :( I might hit up freecycle and see if anyone wants to donate some.

You should have about 2 inches maximum at the top - too much air can spoil it (not likely but it is a risk). If the fermentation is too vigerous move it somewhere cooler. About 20 degrees is fine. If I fill to the top of a small pot (1 gallon), then I place a large dinner plate under to catch any spill. Just keep an eye on the bubbler and rinse through from time to time if it doe go over. It's an expected side effect of fast acting yeast.

Your local brew shop is talking poppycock. You can make a perfectly nice cider from cookers.. However the secret is to mix apples. If not using a cider apple then mix as many different kinds as possible. It's hard to get a single variety right - the taste is well, basically bland mostly. You get used to what apples taste like from apple to juice to cider though and can make a good idea of what to use. Just make sure you leave the whole apple in, skin, pips, core everything.. Just remove any badly bruised or rotten bits if you can.

My latest ones are a mixture of eating, crab, ornamental, cookers and some rather unpleasant tasting (bitter and sharp) ones I found growing on public land. The cider is absolutly lovely. It's on a par with winners at the cider festival (but I would say that).

Keep your eyes open from August onwards and you will fnid trees along the road side you'd never noticed before! you are legally allowed to pick up any fallen fruit from anywhere (inlcuding other peoples gardens, although I dont do that!!). Picking from a tree is I think not allowed.

Matthew
    --
    Matthew

Total Debt 23/12/2007 = £15274
    Total Debt 28/12/2008 = £2369
  • wogglemaker
    Options
    Our pear tree was loaded this year and again we bottled jamed and gave away, but this thread has got me thinking about making perry again.

Having looked on the web there are plans and pressed on ebay. mmm I wounder if anyone would like to share a cider press.

Thanks for the Idea everyone
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • mjhmjh2
    mjhmjh2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    It's really easy to make Perry. I did a single variety and it was quite plain tasting (compared to cider)... I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, however my wife had a glass, and before I knew it had polished off two pints "Sorry, this stuff is so drinkable, a bit like fruit squash", she said. I think I might have followed her lead, although it's blurry!

I'm in Basingstoke - you are welcome to come use my press should you be anywhere near
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/wastell.eu/MakingCider#5257095753395515250

I saw one similar on a website and made it from the picture using recycled timber and an old bottle jack.. We prefer to call it "A Hydraulically operated apple press" ;-)

Before you can press hard fruit (inc apples and pears) you need to scrat them. You can buy a scratter which is basically a large mangle with ribbs on the rollers that you drop fruit into they cost a fortune £200+. I got the most basic type, which is a 2 gallon bucket, a stainless shaft with propellor on the end which you attach to a drill - it works like a big food processor basically, that was about £20. The results of that are dropped into the press contained in net-curtain parcels (the proper name is a cheese!) then pressed by the jack. Presses cost anything from the tiniest of about £100 which is just a waste of time to the largest home use ones which are up to £500.

The press cost me about £30 to make (£10 of that was the varnish!), the scratter bucket £20. I appear to have made including the stuff I did tonight 33½ gallons, a little more and it will be £1 a gallon!

Would be more than happy to send you details about how to make one - however if you are handy the picture above should be enough.

Matthew
    --
    Matthew

Total Debt 23/12/2007 = £15274
    Total Debt 28/12/2008 = £2369
  • Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    mjhmjh2 that is a very impressive piece of kit. You are correct in saying the brew shop local to llwkstw is wrong. I made cider with a mix of eating and cooking apples. Collected apples from trees at road side, and just knocked on doors of homes with trees in their gardens. Never been refused. I have a scratter and press, but not home made or as impressive as mjhmjh2's.2 years ago, spent some hours on t'internet, found a source in Germany, imported 4, sold three at a price lower than any found in the UK, and paid for my kit from the profits. I am in South Lincs. Anybody in the area who might like to make use of the equipment welcome to PM me. I can impart some knowledge as well from what little experience I now have.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    16011996 wrote: »
    do you grow into drinking red wine? i hate it, but older friends say you like it more as you get older

Oh yes you do. I started off drinking Lambrusco (I am ashamed to say!! - but I was a cheap date back then!) But now, nothing but your finest red will do.

I made HF Whittingstalls Elderflower Champagne back in the spring - it was explosive stuff and the bottles needed "burping" everyday - but it was absolutley divine. It didnt last long!!
  • tonyhamm
    tonyhamm Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update on the barolo I made from kit in 2005 - unfortunately, it has not lived upto expectations - prob. because I stored it in the attic where it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Still tastes ok but not as good as when 1st made!
    Anyway - not going to be as good as a barolo because the kit contained invert suger as well as Nebbiolo grape extract.
    so says another ordinary mug fighting the 1% who own the political machine grinding them down from on high...
    :A
  • missychrissy
    Options
    I've never used a kit. I've looked at them and i always think that they are expensive. A few years ago a neighbour used to use them but his wine wasn't very good.

I did 16 galls of elderberry and 8 galls of rosehip last autumn that worked out at 16/17p per bottle. I make a decent white using cartons of apple and white grape juice and a decent rose using cranberry juice and red grape juice that works out usually at under 40p per bottle.

I'm going to try elderflower champagne for the first time this year.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    tonyhamm wrote: »
    Just an update on the barolo I made from kit in 2005 - unfortunately, it has not lived upto expectations - prob. because I stored it in the attic where it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Still tastes ok but not as good as when 1st made!
    Anyway - not going to be as good as a barolo because the kit contained invert suger as well as Nebbiolo grape extract.

:rotfl::rotfl:are you the master of thread resurrection!? :D
  • jonni3000
    jonni3000 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    @ Tonyhamm,

Can you remember the kit name?? I did a Barolo kit during the summer, bottled it and left in the cellar... a bit disappointed to be honest... perhaps it needs a few years :eek:

The shiraz I did was great though! :D
  • mochyn_cwta
    Options
    missychrissy

Can you tell me if you use clear or cloudy apple juice in your apple and white grape juice wine please. Also does the apple juice have to be free of preservatives - perhaps you could tell me exactly which apple juice you use then I'll know that it will work. In the past I have used Copella apple juice when it was half price in Tesco but so far it has not cleared!

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family