PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Homemade wine

Options

Comments

• Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Jinny, I would check the temperature of your airing cupboard before you do this. The wine needs to be between 20 and 25ºC for the wine to ferment properly and my guess is that it will be too warm in there.

I use a very simple fridge thermometer to check the temps of my house so I know where's best to ferment :)

Kevin x
  • Optimisticpair
    Options
    I have found this again after a search.

I waited but I haven't been lucky getting any brewing kit from Freecycle and totting up what we spent on OH's wine (which is one of his few treats for being Frugal) I can see I should have thrown caution to the wind and just invested the money on a bin and demijohns etc. instead.

Austin Allegro - Thanks, and that herbal teabag wine recipe sounds very interesting.

New wine-making question - Could I freeze or dry elderflower heads?
    No longer half of Optimisticpair

• jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Help! making some wine in a demi-john from a kit and its started to foam up in the air bung should i take some out?
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Norman_Bean
    Norman_Bean Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    jinny wrote: »
    Help! making some wine in a demi-john from a kit and its started to foam up in the air bung should i take some out?

yes I would x which kit are you doing?

Just picked some redcurrants from the garden so going to have a go at redcurrant wine - anyone had any success with this? need a recipe too as Molly hasn't got one :eek:

Norm x
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • jinny
    Options
    yes I would x which kit are you doing?

Just picked some redcurrants from the garden so going to have a go at redcurrant wine - anyone had any success with this? need a recipe too as Molly hasn't got one :eek:

Norm x[/QUOTE
    Its youngs definitive red from wilkinsons I have taken the air lock out and rinsed it out and it seems ok now but i think i did overfill the jar a bit
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • jinny
    Options
    Where would you fill the demi jar upto. Is it up to the bottle neck base or below that just above the shoulders? thanks
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • jinny
    Options
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Options
    jinny wrote: »

I came home earlier to find what i thought was a spent shotgun cartridge in the living room, i thought that the dog had found it and fetched it in but its actually turned out to be the top of an airlock :o

My experimental coffee wine (supposed to be like tia maria) has gone all over the place :D I`ve poured about half a pint away after trying to scoop out the froth a couple of times and it still wasn`t enough.

That demijohn is now standing in an old washing up bowl in case it happens again.

Normanbean - I`ve got Mollys blackcurrant wine bubbling away atm, you could use the same recipe for the redcurrants. I`m starting to do that a lot with different fruit, the plum wine is still at the bucket stage :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • jinny
    edited 20 July 2010 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    I came home earlier to find what i thought was a spent shotgun cartridge in the living room, i thought that the dog had found it and fetched it in but its actually turned out to be the top of an airlock :o

My experimental coffee wine (supposed to be like tia maria) has gone all over the place :D I`ve poured about half a pint away after trying to scoop out the froth a couple of times and it still wasn`t enough.

SD
    Oh dear what a shock, this wine making is certainly potentially a messy hobby then. I read somewhere else that a lady came into her kitchen one morning to find the "red wine" had splattered all over the place and it looked like an abatoir!:eek:
    I'm not put off tho im really getting into this facinating hobby
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Options
    It`s not put me off either :D

It`s done it again :rotfl:

I`m going to put a cloth over the airlock this time so at least i won`t have to search for it.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills