PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Homemade wine

Options

Comments

• craftynutters
    Options
    thanks everyone thats great will start at weekend :j LOOKING FOREWARD TO (sorry it's that word) CHRISTMAS:D
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    If you can pick up the winemaking book by C.J.Berry it's a classic
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • curlywurlygirly
    Options
    If the idea of making a 'fruit wine' is a bit daunting - test your skills using a kit - you can get some really good 'ceap' ones, and it works out at about 50p a bottle when you've made it - including the necessary sugar!
    Is it payday yet?:rolleyes:

Comping since August and won: Tickets to the ideal home show, My Little Pony Playset, a naughty prize, £5 cash, Hot Fuzz goody bag, Carbon Monoxide Detector, Tickets to Good Food Show, Photo print from London editions:j

:T Thanks to all posters!:T
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hapless wrote: »
    If you can pick up the winemaking book by C.J.Berry it's a classic

Beansprout's blog also rates C.J.Berry's book on winemaking.. she's included a few links on one entry on winemaking (there are a few).

And yes, you can make wine from veg, apparently. And i quote (again, from her blog):
    "I think my all time top success was a 5 gallon batch of "everything the greengrocer was chucking out on Saturday afternoon", which resulted in a fabulous wine very like a good Cabernet Sauvignon. Sadly I never wrote down the proportions and so the recipe was unrepeatable. But then again Berry advised me to always keep scrupulous records for this very reason, so the fault lies with the student, not the master."

so there we go!

keth
    xx
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    CJJ Berry also does a book on winemaking with canned fruit and from experience -this is usually pretty good. I have made peach (value peaches) and fruit cocktail (ditto) and both are good and drinkable in about 3 months, though 6 is better. As far as I remeber it's 3 tins of fruit, 1kg sugar, and 1 tsp of everything else - yeast, nutrient, pectic enzyme, citric acid and tannin. I also made value grapefruit which was much better than you would think - nice and dry.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • craftynutters
    Options
    thanks everyone First batch underway:beer:
  • GooeyBlob
    Options
    Here's one really simple recipe I've used hundreds of times and it never goes wrong:

Dissolve a 1 kilo bag of sugar in water, then allow to cool. Pour 1 litre of value orange juice (Netto, Teco, Aldi... the cheap stuff from concentrate is fine) into demi-john, add yeast and 1 tsp of pectolase. Add cooled sugar solution, top up with tap water and leave for 6-8 weeks.

The result should be a very nice white wine that costs next-to-nothing and takes very little time to make.
    Saved over £20K in 20 years by brewing my own booze.
    Qmee surveys total £250 since November 2018
  • GooeyBlob
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that this year's blackberries are unusually large? It must have been the perfect summer for them.

I've picked loads this year, and have several gallons of blackberry wine fermenting away already. I pick about 3lb of fruit and use 1 kilo of sugar to make a gallon, and this usually makes a nice red wine for about 15p per bottle.
    Saved over £20K in 20 years by brewing my own booze.
    Qmee surveys total £250 since November 2018
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got loads in the freezer ready for making jam, they are huge this year.*remembering the huge hangover from blackberry wine*
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I would love to make wine, we did once do it from a kit. The 6 bottles turned out fine but we never bothered since. Anyone fancy listing the equipment needed and a beginners guide? I'm more interested in country wines rather than kits.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure