PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Homemade wine

Options

Comments

• Lurleene
    Lurleene Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    This brings back memories of my parents making us spend weekends picking dandelions to make "pee in the bed wine" which is supposedly called that for a reason!

I wouldn't know - I was big enough to send out picking, but not old enough to sample any of it apparently!:rotfl:
  • jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Have spoken to my Dad and he still has all his books and equipment. I thought I would give it a go and thankyou to everyone who has shared recipies and ideas.:T
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Try this http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Processing_Food/ site for lots of articles, help and advice.
  • grahamliza4
    grahamliza4 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    We make our own farmhouse cider. Complete with dead wasps, etc.

YUM!
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry for cluttering the post, but this post reminded me of a really funny story. My Dad used to make blackcurrant +/- banana wine years ago (sounds awful but he says it was OK - I was too young to sample). He used to ferment it in the house and then move it into the garage in gallon flagons for storage. These were sealed with a big heavy rubber bung, about an inch in diameter and an inch and a half deep.

One time he had obviously bottled it a bit too early......me and my mate were walking past the garage when I heard a HUGE bang.......when I turned to look, my mate was face down on the ground and unconscious! The bung had fired out, hit him on the back of the head and knocked him out!!!! No harm done in the long run but my friend never went near our garage ever again!!!
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • Hinni
    Hinni Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Not a wine but easy to try.......
    You need a demijohn or large glass bottle/container. Load it with strawberries, add some sugar (doesn't matter exact measurements) and fill with value vodka. The vodka bleaches the strawbs and the sugar helps it to go slightly syrupy. Lovely over ice with some lemonade or soda! A nice summertime drink - if we ever have summer this year!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We used to make a lot of it from fruit (apple, gooseberry, blackberry, elderberry as well as grapes) but it's very time consuming as the juice has to be strained off the pulp and left to start fermenting before it is pouring into demi johns with the yeast. And then it often needs two more strainings before it is completely clear which can take several months as the weather cools down and fermentation) slows up. But it's good fun if you have plenty of space and patience and adopt rigid hygiene standards to prevent any contamination. But a word of warning. Beware if you're making elderberry wine. If any spills over it will stain everything in your kitchen purple, and you will NEVER remove the stains, no matter how hard you try !
  • jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Am dead chuffed, have just bottled my first wine. I made a kit and used my Dad's old equipment he still had. It tastes great! Am looking forward to making my Dad's recipie he made in Saudi Arabia. Will let you know how I get on. Don't know if it's legal to post it, (he's a chemist by the way). Has anyone had success with making beer and can recommend a good website for this?:beer:
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've been meaning to try making my own again for ages, just never got round to it. Have got all the stuff as we use to do it but that was many years ago could do with getting going again especially with all the free fruit around at the moment. I know that Downsizer.net has a dedicated area for wine &beer making so you could pop in there, its a good site for other things too.

I think Penny's the girl here you need as I'm sure she makes her own:D

HTH
    Ice
    x
    Rebel No 22
  • craftynutters
    Options
    Hi I have been given some wine making equipment off a fellow freecycler and was wondering if anybody has any simple recipes to start me off. It's either make my own or dont have any at christmas:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure