We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

tesco contract??

Options
13»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just because someone else doesn't have a disabled son, maybe single, & like to enjoy their days off, it doesn't make their time off any less important. You cannot expect employers to use personal circumstances against someone to decide what shifts they work.

Other people should not lose out because of your personal circumstances. How you manage your work life balance is your business, and it shouldn't impact on other staff.

but then the wifes OP made tesco aware that she couldnt start before a certain time
  • Biscuitlover
    Options
    I also work for Tescos and have a disabled son so know how difficult it is to get work to fit round my sons care. I work 7pm-11pm so i have childcare cover, basically enough time for hubby to get home from work to take over.
    As far as i'm aware they can change your contract if they give you 30 days notice but i'm sure under the disability act, there was a new law which came out a year or so ago about employers being more flexible to carers. Its not as if shes asking to work unreasonable hours, they have asked her.
    Is it worth your wife asking if she can work on a different department where the hours are more flexible. Not the tills.
    I usually stick to my hours but if i did have a real problem i could go in later or swap nights, as long as i work my hours.
    wins 2011 - £10 Asda gift card, 1k, burberry perfume, dolce gusto coffee capsules, 6months worth of Kelloggs Crunchy bites, M&S handbag, lego toy, SkyRim t-shirt
    :beer:
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    but then the wifes OP made tesco aware that she couldnt start before a certain time

OK devil's advocate again - did she get it in writing from Tesco about her time constraints. Not casting aspersions on Mr T but, in court, would it be her word against theirs (and their hot-shot lawyers)
  • Daytona_nev
    Daytona_nev Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »

That wasn't my point. My point was the OP's incinuation that other's staff's reasons for not wanting to work certain shifts were not as valid because their circumstances and reasons were different.

The OP cannot expect the employer to discrimate against other staff because they don't have families!

The issue here is the OP's agreement with the employer and how this impacts on the OP's work life balance. This has nothing whatsoever to do with other staff and why they want to work the shifts they do. It's none of the OP's business.
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    a little bit of topic,but still relating to tesco,s my wife works in,they recently said that every new employee they take on will have to work on sundays,even if your contracted to work sundays,you dont need to,wonder if anyone will tell tesco,s this at her branch?
    Interesting. The legislation which allows Sunday opening of shops was only introduced after assurances from the supermarkets and other retail that no one would be forced to work on Sundays. I think that went into the legislation, but I am not sure.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps English isn't the OP's first language because I also felt that he phrased his question very badly and did indeed insinuate that people that are not carers are unimportant. In that respect, I completely concur with Dayton_nev.

However, the link provided by amandada appears to make it quite clear that the OP's wife is quite within her rights to refuse to work hours that are inconvenient under the DDA. I suspect that when she politely refuses and explains her reasons why, using the relevant part of the DDA Tesco will back down and ask someone else.
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    I also work for Tescos and have a disabled son so know how difficult it is to get work to fit round my sons care. I work 7pm-11pm so i have childcare cover, basically enough time for hubby to get home from work to take over.
    As far as i'm aware they can change your contract if they give you 30 days notice but i'm sure under the disability act, there was a new law which came out a year or so ago about employers being more flexible to carers. Its not as if shes asking to work unreasonable hours, they have asked her.
    Is it worth your wife asking if she can work on a different department where the hours are more flexible. Not the tills.
    I usually stick to my hours but if i did have a real problem i could go in later or swap nights, as long as i work my hours.
    thanks its a small store,and she has been doing a few extra shifts on twilight shelf stacking until midnight or 2am so there maybe a opening there
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport