We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

tesco contract??

Options

Comments

• Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You sound like an absolute !!!!! tbh

Imagine using your disabled child to try and blackmail an employer

Tesco can do it if they want, if they do your wife should put in a flexible hours request in line with law/tesco policy

If they refuse she will either have to like it or resign.

Nothing to do with disability at all and any attempts by you or your wife to use your disabled son to suggest it is would show you as complete scum.

Also who are you to decide the validity of other peoples reasons for not changing?

Was that really necessary?:confused:
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    my wife has a valid reason for not wanting to do it,where as others maybe only dont want to as it affects there social life

The key word being "maybe." There may be others with similar or otherwise equally valid reasons.

At the end of the day, her first step should be to talk to her line manager and politely explain her reasons for not wanting her hours to be changed. Hopefully they will take this in to account and let her keep her existing hours if possible. :)
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Cazza wrote: »
    Was that really necessary?:confused:

Yes, the OP is trying to use their son's disability to blackmail tesco, why dont they just ask tesco for a ransom whilst their at it.

There are legal processes in place the OP can use, instead their wanting to blackmail tesco into doing what they want
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    You sound like an absolute !!!!! tbh

Imagine using your disabled child to try and blackmail an employer

Tesco can do it if they want, if they do your wife should put in a flexible hours request in line with law/tesco policy

If they refuse she will either have to like it or resign.

Nothing to do with disability at all and any attempts by you or your wife to use your disabled son to suggest it is would show you as complete scum.

Also who are you to decide the validity of other peoples reasons for not changing?
    eh are u for real???:mad: :confused: iam not using my disabled son as a excuse,my wife cant change,due to having to be at hom,e for my son fact,and she has spoken to others so knows they can change,but some have said why should they,so please but out of what you dont know anything baout
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • peediedj
    Options
    Yes, the OP is trying to use their son's disability to blackmail tesco, why dont they just ask tesco for a ransom whilst their at it.

There are legal processes in place the OP can use, instead their wanting to blackmail tesco into doing what they want
    if anyones blacmailing anyone,its tescos with there employees:confused:
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

What utter nonsense!!! I work hours which fit in with my family, and have had to on more than one occasion refuse to change them for reasons of childcare.

I suggest you read this http://www.out-law.com/page-9305
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I think we've interpreted the OP's posts in different ways. Yes, there are legal processes in place, but my understanding was that the OP wasn't aware of the details of these was therefore asking if anyone else knew anything about it. Who mentioned anything about blackmail, it's pretty strong to accuse someone of that when they're just asking general advice?

OP, this is from the DCSF website....
    Who can ask for it?

Anyone can ask their employer for flexible work arrangements, but the law provides some employees with the statutory right to request a flexible working pattern. Provided you are an employee (but not an agency worker or in the armed forces) and have worked for your employer for 26 weeks continuously before applying, you have the statutory right to ask if you:
    • have a child under six or a disabled child under 18
    • are responsible for the child as a parent/guardian/special guardian/foster parent/private foster carer or as the holder of a residence order
    • are the spouse, partner or civil partner of one of these and are applying to care for the child
    • are a carer who cares, or expects to be caring, for an adult who is a spouse, partner, civil partner or relative; or who although not related to you, lives at the same address as you

Under the law your employer must seriously consider any application you make, and only reject it if there are good business reasons for doing so. You have the right to ask for flexible working - not the right to have it.
    Employees who do not have the legal right to request flexible working are of course free to ask their employer if they can work flexibly, many employers are willing to consider such requests.

More info here... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029491
  • peediedj
    Options
    a little bit of topic,but still relating to tesco,s my wife works in,they recently said that every new employee they take on will have to work on sundays,even if your contracted to work sundays,you dont need to,wonder if anyone will tell tesco,s this at her branch?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your wife mentioned that she wasnt able to start at 4 due to other commitments and tescos employed her knowing that so just stand firm, get her to speak to her manager

i obviously cant guarantee what tescos response will be, hopefully they will agree to not change your wifes hours
  • Daytona_nev
    Daytona_nev Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    my wife has a valid reason for not wanting to do it,where as others maybe only dont want to as it affects there social life

Just because someone else doesn't have a disabled son, maybe single, & like to enjoy their days off, it doesn't make their time off any less important. You cannot expect employers to use personal circumstances against someone to decide what shifts they work.

Other people should not lose out because of your personal circumstances. How you manage your work life balance is your business, and it shouldn't impact on other staff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport