tesco contract??

Options
ok my wife works on checkouts at tescos wed,thurs+fri nights 6-10.15,sat 9.30-6.30+sunday 9-6.30,she used to do monday nights instead of wed,but they asked her to swap,now one of the managers has asked her to work 4-8 instead of 6-10.15,which they know she cant do ,due to someone having to be at home for our severly disabled son,as i get home from work at 5.15 every night,but they say there busiest time is between 4-7 so need staff to change,there asknig everyone,and wife has already done them a favour by changing to wed nights,now there saying if people wont change they,ll start changing contracts,surely they cant do this unless a person agrees with it???
Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!

Comments

• bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    What hours is your wife contracted to work? If it states specific days and hours eg Mon 6-10.then they can't just change it. However, if her contract states something like 20hrs over 7days then they can tell her to work any hours they like.
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    bunny999 wrote: »
    What hours is your wife contracted to work? If it states specific days and hours eg Mon 6-10.then they can't just change it. However, if her contract states something like 20hrs over 7days then they can tell her to work any hours they like.
    mmm not sure,will have to get her to look out the contract,surely they cant force her to change due to disability laws?
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    I worked for them as a student, and I don't know if it's still the same, but back then it was in everyone's contract that they could change your hours of work if they wanted to. If you objected, they had to give you 30 days notice, but they could still do it.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • peediedj
    Options
    Misty_Blue wrote: »
    I worked for them as a student, and I don't know if it's still the same, but back then it was in everyone's contract that they could change your hours of work if they wanted to. If you objected, they had to give you 30 days notice, but they could still do it.
    if they do they,ll have disability down on them like a ton of bricks
  • HGLTsuperstar
    Options
    But the disability laws won't apply because (don't want to sound nasty but) Tesco will argue that as she's not disabled then its not their problem. They employ her, not your son, so will say (and I think the law will be on their side) that her life outside work is not their concern.
    Know you don't want to hear that, but be ready for them to take that line.
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    if they do they,ll have disability down on them like a ton of bricks

Maybe. I don't know enough about the DDA to be able to say for sure, but might they be able to avoid it because it's not actually their employee (ie your wife) who is disabled? They have no contract with (and therefore they could well say no obligation to) your son.

They tried to change my hours once to ones that didn't suit me. I told them I didn't want to do the new hours, so they said they would get the paperwork drawn up to give me the 30 days notice of the change. What actually happened was that they found it quicker and easier to just make someone else change - someone who didn't argue with them! ;) I was never given any notice and so carried on working my old hours. Hopefully this might work for your wife as well. :)
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm, yes, I think the big difference here is your disabled son. They might be able to get away with it for someone else, but possilbly not in these circumstances. This might help.... http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/asp/family_zone/fs_fw1_flexwork.asp
  • peediedj
    Options
    just found her job offer,it states 28.5 hrs,then the days and shifts she does,its a permenant flexi contract,but its changed 3 times since then without her signing a new one
  • peediedj
    Options
    But the disability laws won't apply because (don't want to sound nasty but) Tesco will argue that as she's not disabled then its not their problem. They employ her, not your son, so will say (and I think the law will be on their side) that her life outside work is not their concern.
    Know you don't want to hear that, but be ready for them to take that line.
    yes but they employed her on those hours in the knowledge that they were only hrs she could do to work around our son,maybe not there problem,but at the end of the day if they ask 15 employees to change hours,needing only say 3 to do it,my wife has a valid reason for not wanting to do it,where as others maybe only dont want to as it affects there social life
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    yes but they employed her on those hours in the knowledge that they were only hrs she could do to work around our son,maybe not there problem,but at the end of the day if they ask 15 employees to change hours,needing only say 3 to do it,my wife has a valid reason for not wanting to do it,where as others maybe only dont want to as it affects there social life

You sound like an absolute !!!!! tbh

Imagine using your disabled child to try and blackmail an employer

Tesco can do it if they want, if they do your wife should put in a flexible hours request in line with law/tesco policy

If they refuse she will either have to like it or resign.

Nothing to do with disability at all and any attempts by you or your wife to use your disabled son to suggest it is would show you as complete scum.

Also who are you to decide the validity of other peoples reasons for not changing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure