• petchy
    petchy Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    they want 349 to come out and fix it
    Cheers Petchy
  • barrymoney
    Options
    Hi-
    On the phone, did they say it was likely a PCB problem? or is 349 their price for any call-out? From what I read, pcb 5111603 is the new model -- its usually the old pcb models that have the lock-out issues -- yours was already replaced. BTW, does the receipt say who replaced the PCB, and when? Anyway, perhaps you can get an independent engineer to check it out and see if its something simpler (cheaper) than pcb in this case.
    EDIT: I think the amber flashing, on the newer PCBs, is not a lock-out per se, its something else?

PS I am not an engineer or anything (but, based on the price of these things, I wish I was..! )
  • petchy
    Options
    hey, they didn't mention & wouldn't say what the fault is! The PCB was replaced in dec 04 at a cost of 237!
    I don't think its a lockout! its just really odd!
    would you recommend maybe signing up for a british gas/E.ON boiler cover plan?
    Cheers Petchy
  • barrymoney
    Options
    Yeah, brand new PCB are really expensive. Thats probably part of the reason those repair fees are high, to cover it.
    Hmm, personally, in your case I would try to get a good independent corgi-registered chap to take a look for a more reasonable fee, it could be just a valve or setting etc and the repair could be cheap-ish. I suppose a service plan gives you piece of mind, but I have resisted going for those myself.
  • totalnovice
    Options
    Hi All

Just encountered the same problem over recent weeks with a Potterton Suprema 50 (Lock outs, every hour or so, red flashing light, but does fire up when reset and runs fine for a while) - everything I have read suggests that this is the PCB and I am prepared to give it a go at replacing - certainly not my field but I do have a degree of common sense - but have a couple of questions I hope someone may answer:
    1. Is the Potterton Suprima Upgrade PCB - 5111603 the best option to purchase (looking at ebay right now)?
    2. Is this a simple like 4 like replacement of the old, old model with the grey flush reset?
    3. reading above posts they seem tobe fairly simple to fit - could anyone offer any obvious or known "handy hints" to remember before I begin? ie anything to be careful of, hard to find screws... or checks to carry out etc....
    4. Anything else worth considering prior to buying and replacing the PCB

many thanks in advance.
  • barrymoney
    Options
    Lock outs, every hour or so, red flashing light, but does fire up when reset and runs fine for a while) - everything I have read suggests that this is the PCB

sounds like it.

I can't give you a great answer to whether to get the new '5111603' or not (anyone else?) -- for me I was more comfortable using an exact replacement for the older pcb model I had ('407750'), since the connectors are then identical (there are about 5 or 6 connections). I have read of people using the new model, but I just didn't want any issues at all. I dare say the new model is 'better'.

Hints? Mine came with some fairly good instructions. Switch off the mains power (!). Locate all the screws - they aren't really 'hidden', you will find them. Don't start dismantling the whole boiler, its just the side panel you need to access ;) On mine, some of the pcb connectors were quite stiff, I recall getting worried I'd not be able to get them off at all, but with much wiggling I did. Needs a bit of patience...

EDIT: this ebay link contains more info, mentions the new 5111603.
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know whether help to anyone - about 3 years ago our PCB was replaced on our Potterton by an independent Corgi man (ex British Gas) - he recommended that we cover ourselves by British Gas cover which we did.

Last week we thought it had gone again as it kept cutting out again. British Gas came out the next day, had to order a new PCB, so came out the day after and replaced it. Worked for about 1 day and started doing again. BG came out again and the engineer said as he didn't know what it could be he would replace the ignition, the valve and something else (?). Ordered the parts (Sat am) and came back out on Monday fitted the new parts and (touch wood) has been fine since.

So for us it was definitely worth being covered by BG.
  • petchy
    Options
    Still nowhere near to getting mine sorted...

as i keep saying mine just makes no sense, the flashing amber light apparently means external call for heat - temp control set to off - even though the prt2 room thermostat is at 20 (and says temp not reached) and ppt2 on the boiler thermostat says 70 oc and also temp not reached, yet it'll just flash amber and then anything between 5 - 8 hrs just kick in?!

The manual states that the flashing amber light is to do with the boiler temperature control switched off, turn temperature control on? however the temp on the sensor for the boiler is set to 65oc and a green light is on saying below :(

baffles me ...help!
    Cheers Petchy
  • Potsie007
    Options
    I have a Potterton Suprima 40L. Just over a year ago I had the lock out problems a replaced the PCB for the one with the square reset button. Just recently it has developed an intermittent fault. The boiler comes on for a very brief period (about 15 secs) then goes off, then comes on and goes off again . The radiators heat up very slightly, as does the hot water. If the thermostat on the wall, or the one on the hot water tank is turned up, it makes no difference.

As I said it is an intermittent fault, and I cannot workout any common factors as to what might set it off.:confused:

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure