Kaupthing Edge Interest rates - no brainer?

Options
Just looking at the interest rates on KE's fixed term products.

36 month rate is 7.67% gross. It has a 'break rate' for early withdrawals of 6.67%.

Given that the instant access rate is 6.36% gross, I'm struggling to find a downside of paying into the 3 year fixed term and, if necessary, closing it if I need the money earlier.

Upside is that the rate is fixed (unlike the instant access which is bound to fall) for the term...and pays a higher rate in any event.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think they are available anymore despite looking as though they are from the online banking side of things. There is a thread on this somewhere.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1246919

Haven't checked recently to see if the people who tried were successful:confused:
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kaupthing Edge, are no more.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    There is a thread on this somewhere.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but smile at the thought of someone searching for "Kaupthing" on this forum.:rotfl:
    Debbie
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Kaupthing Edge, are no more.

Not 100% right. The savings accounts have been acquired by ING but the name is still operating.

I've actually just managed to open a 3 year fixed term account.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    debbie42 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I couldn't help but smile at the thought of someone searching for "Kaupthing" on this forum.:rotfl:

You are absolutely right. No shortage of posts, just information...:confused:
  • bjorn_again
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    Not 100% right. The savings accounts have been acquired by ING but the name is still operating.

I've actually just managed to open a 3 year fixed term account.

How did you do that? I tried today and I got a msg saying something like "your application has been submitted". Did you do it on line or by phone?
  • sloughflint
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. No shortage of posts, just information...:confused:
    I thought I'd provided you with a relevant thread titled "Kaupthing Fixed Deposit - No NEW accounts allowed"
    How did you do that? I tried today and I got a msg saying something like "your application has been submitted". Did you do it on line or by phone?
    According to that thread I linked to, people have tried and think they've been successful. There was uncertainty whether it had really worked though.
  • sloughflint
    Options
    debbie42 wrote: »
    Yep, looking at my edit time, it took me a good 4 mins to find through that lot. Maybe I should not have bothered.
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    Yep, looking at my edit time, it took me a good 4 mins to find through that lot. Maybe I should not have bothered.

Actually it only took you 2 minutes ;):D :rotfl:
    Noobie (not so :D) trying to make loads a dosh - please bear with all my questions :beer: Thanks :D

• Stonehands
    Options
    I love Kaupthing :rolleyes:

Especially when they went bust with 17k of my savings... which has taken me 24 days to get back... :mad:

I would not go near them at the mo, they have been taken over by ING (Ignorant Netherlands gits), even if they are taking deposits...

Look here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1240713
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport