Kaupthing Fixed Deposit - No NEW accounts allowed

Options
Having been told no further fixed deposit accounts could be opened in KE the website STILL appears to give the option to open them.

So, today I did & the funds were transferred!! Feeling unsure, I phoned KE to confirm that this account would be honoured only to be told NO it would not and only people who had originally opened their fixed deposit accounts with KE originally would be able to keep them.

I'm now told the funds will be transferred back into my savings a/c & this will take 24 - 48 hours.

Don't want to alarm anyone who has also taken this step but may be worth checking.

Yet more funds in limbo.
"Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”

Comments

• stevetodd
    stevetodd Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    joyfull wrote: »
    Having been told no further fixed deposit accounts could be opened in KE the website STILL appears to give the option to open them.

So, today I did & the funds were transferred!! Feeling unsure, I phoned KE to confirm that this account would be honoured only to be told NO it would not and only people who had originally opened their fixed deposit accounts with KE originally would be able to keep them.

I'm now told the funds will be transferred back into my savings a/c & this will take 24 - 48 hours.

Don't want to alarm anyone who has also taken this step but may be worth checking.

Yet more funds in limbo.

I will certainly challenge them on this, as I requested them to cancel the breaking of my FTB's more than a week before they actually did break them. They said it was too late and now they are saying that despite their site alowing me to transfer back in they will break the bonds WITHOUT my consent, I don't think that's right. Or am I just seeing things my way?

EDIT: on second thoughts whats the point its not that much money anyway
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    It's not right. I too am pretty angry. I'm keen to get my funds into a fixed deposit a/c asap as I'm not happy with funds languishing with KE/ING not knowing what interest it will be earning. I will now try Anglo Irish. However my money is now unavailable again whilst ING sort themselves out. Keep us posted Stevetodd if you do contact them.
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • stevetodd
    Options
    It's not right. I too am pretty angry. I'm keen to get my funds into a fixed deposit a/c asap as I'm not happy with funds languishing with KE/ING not knowing what interest it will be earning. I will now try Anglo Irish. However my money is now unavailable again whilst ING sort themselves out. Keep us posted Stevetodd if you do contact them.

I rang them and they not only said that my money wasn't in any FTB's but at noon today it was sent back to my nominated bank account! I would have preffered it in the FTB but to be honest I am not too unhappy that it is coming back to me as it seems they are still in confusion over there.

Like you I may park some in Anglo Irish, but because the FTSE 100 is so low I may consider BM's GEB which pays 8.7% if the FTSE 100 is higher at the end of the bond than the start. I would probably go for a 5 year bond so giving the FTSE 100 plenty time to rcover from its current mess. I am not too sure if I have left it too late now as I think this GEB starts early Nov

Any constructive criticism of this GEB would be welcomed by anyone
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Options
    stevetodd wrote: »
    Any constructive criticism of this GEB would be welcomed by anyone

I'd say there are better investment ideas, but I'm not a financial adviser!
  • stevetodd
    Options
    isofa wrote: »
    I'd say there are better investment ideas, but I'm not a financial adviser!

Its not an investment ie it is a strict 8.7% interest payment if the FTSE is higher, it does not pay out a shared performance of the FTSE as some GEB do, here is a link to the product detail:

http://www.askbm.co.uk/savings/t/geb/product.asp?id=200
  • EalingSaver
    Options

Umm. I REALLY wish I had read this thread earlier. Today I transferred £11.5k from my KE instant into a FTD. I was a little reticent as I'm still waiting on monies transferred out of KE on 7/10. However, got impression that apart from a small percentage of s****d up withdrawls at time of problems, everything was now running OK.

If they bounce this back to my instant, I will be very p***d off. If they aren't honouring this why the hell are they allowing the transactions to apparently take place??????

This ING takeover is even more of a complete shambles than I thought.
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    Another little gem I discovered when speaking to KE staff today.....

Anyone looking to transfer funds out of KE should expect to wait 3 working days even if they request it done via CHAPS.

As I'm hoping to get mine out WHEN it becomes available this is pretty important when trying to minimise the 'no interest earned limbo' situation whilst moving funds elsewhere.

This is what I was told at around 4pm today. Wot a murky mess!
  • funkyhitman
    Options
    Douchebags. What is stopping ING removing the website link to open a new FTD? This would stop the confusion and the unnecessary movement of people's money when the system is stressed. They're making more work for themselves!
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    Why don't you stick it in ICICI UK. Totally FSCS regulated and doing various fixes. You may miss the 7.2% but you'll get the 6.8% which is still good.
  • Paul.J.M
    Paul.J.M Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    This is interesting to know. Why the hell dont ING publish this in its LATEST NEWS thread on the opening home page on KE internet banking webpage, they would save us and them a lot of hastle. Bloody idiots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure