Kaupthing Edge Interest rates - no brainer?

Options

Comments

• sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Actually it only took you 2 minutes ;):D :rotfl:
    4 mins. Look again;).
    Then again maybe I'm a slow typer for the extra sentence involved too:rotfl:
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    If you phone KE to confirm whether you new Fixed Deposit application has been successful you will be told NO (as I and others have found out). Only people who had already opened them before the crisis are allowed to keep them.

It's a huge mess. If you're happy to risk the application not to be honoured then do nothing. If not best phone KE to confirm.
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    joyfull wrote: »
    If you phone KE to confirm whether you new Fixed Deposit application has been successful you will be told NO (as I and others have found out). Only people who had already opened them before the crisis are allowed to keep them.

It's a huge mess. If you're happy to risk the application not to be honoured then do nothing. If not best phone KE to confirm.

Bit of an update. My FT accounts are now opened (from Sunday) and I have transferred money into them from my existing instant access savings account. Going back to my first post, it seems sensible to move everything into the 3 year FT account even I am to pay the break rate? Anyone disagree?

Given interest rates likely to fall on Thursday, this still looks like a no-brainer.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    Bit of an update. My FT accounts are now opened (from Sunday) and I have transferred money into them from my existing instant access savings account. Going back to my first post, it seems sensible to move everything into the 3 year FT account even I am to pay the break rate? Anyone disagree?

Given interest rates likely to fall on Thursday, this still looks like a no-brainer.

So have you contacted ING to establish if this is still a genuinely supported account and not just a nasty cyberspace black hole left over from the undeniably chaotic takeover?

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Tozer
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    So have you contacted ING to establish if this is still a genuinely supported account and not just a nasty cyberspace black hole left over from the undeniably chaotic takeover?

Dave.

Nope I'm going on face-value. Shows all my accounts (including the new ones) as active.

Can't see how ING cannot honour it.
  • dan2097
    dan2097 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't IngDirect say somewhere something to the effect that it should be treated as business as usual and to continue using the Kaupthing Edge website for the immediate future? If they really aren't intending to honour these new term deposit accounts they've had nearly a month to do something about it. (I opened one on the 10th October)
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dan2097 wrote: »
    Didn't IngDirect say somewhere something to the effect that it should be treated as business as usual and to continue using the Kaupthing Edge website for the immediate future? If they really aren't intending to honour these new term deposit accounts they've had nearly a month to do something about it. (I opened one on the 10th October)

They've had a month to pay out former KE savers, but in many cases they haven't honoured that either!

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Tozer
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    They've had a month to pay out former KE savers, but in many cases they haven't honoured that either!

Dave.

True but what suggestion is there that they will not honour new accounts? There is no basis that they cannot once the account is up and running.
  • Tozer
    Options
    So in essence, is there any reason why I should keep my money in the instant access account rather than the 36 month FT account with the better break rate?
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    4 mins. Look again;).
    Then again maybe I'm a slow typer for the extra sentence involved too:rotfl:

When I was at school 54 minus 52 equalled 2, but it was a few years ago so maybe things have changed ;)
    Noobie (not so :D) trying to make loads a dosh - please bear with all my questions :beer: Thanks :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure