Problems with obtaining a MAC code from BT

Options
I am curretly with BT broadband and my contract finishes today. I want to switch to O2 broadband.

My MAC code is still not arrived after 7 working days after my request to BT. Are there anyone else having same problem of getting a MAC code from BT?

I made endless phone calls to BT and has been told that my MAC would send to me within 24 hours...but I still have not received it yet...I am so frustrated...

Would anyone give me some advices on what I shall do next?

Many thanks

Lijun

Comments

• Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    Options
    there just fobbing you off...when I got mine they gave me it over the phone...so have a pen and paper ready...they didn't even send me it in an email...I would ring them back and demand to speak to a supervisor and demand your mac key...
    hths
    :D
    just curious you are sure that your contract is up...aren't you...:D

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • Drunkstar
    Drunkstar Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    MACs are now emailed from BT, advisors are not alowed to give them over the phone.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    mine didn't arrive within the given 5 days as first informed,

After i had phoned them it arrived by email within 3 hours

Tell them now that you want it over the phone, if they refuse then tell them you are going to report them to ofcom for not giving you your MAC,

By the way it a MAC not a MAC Code ( migration authorisation Code ) Code
  • Drunkstar
    Options
    Lee, please stop giving bad advice. As I said above Bt advisors are no longer allowed to give teh code over the phone. They send the request offline to a team who sed it to the customer by email. 5 working days is the allowed turnaround for a MAC, complaining to Ofcom because its not given over the phone will get you nowhere at all.
  • SkipClick
    Options
    Drunkstar wrote: »
    As I said above Bt advisors are no longer allowed to give teh code over the phone.

Strange one dose say on Offcom A1.4 The Communications Provider a. telephone numbers; so the person has a right for the phone use. ;)
  • deklan99
    deklan99 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    SkipClick wrote: »
    Strange one dose say on Offcom A1.4 The Communications Provider a. telephone numbers; so the person has a right for the phone use. ;)

If you actually read Ofcom's Code of Practice the only stipulations regarding obtaining a MAC are that 2 out of 3 methods of contact, telephone number, e-mail address, postal address shall be available.
    Regarding the issue of the MAC the provider "shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-User’s request".
    Nowhere does it say that MACs have to be issued by telephone. ;)
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Drunkstar wrote: »
    Lee, please stop giving bad advice. As I said above Bt advisors are no longer allowed to give teh code over the phone. They send the request offline to a team who sed it to the customer by email. 5 working days is the allowed turnaround for a MAC, complaining to Ofcom because its not given over the phone will get you nowhere at all.

It's not bad advise as i said in my post they if after the 5 days it has not been received then complain, wasn't referring to the part about complaining about not being given it over the phone.
  • Drunkstar
    Drunkstar Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    At the risk of soundling like an !!!!, its still bad advice as BT advisors are to allowed to give out a MAC over the phone. Demanding wont get you anywhere in this case.
  • Concorde_2
    Options
    I hope that by now you have managed to get the problem sorted but for future reference, I also had horrendous problems of the same nature as yourself. I quoted OFCOM's code of practice to them and received my MAC there and then over the phone so it can be done!

I quoted this word for word...note the highlighted bits...

A1.5 The Communications Provider shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-User’s request save for A1.6.
    A1.6 Where the Communications Provider has issued the MAC to the End-User over the telephone (including details about the MAC validity period and expiry date and the Broadband Service to which the MAC relates), the Communications Provider is not required to communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing.

This would appear to indicate that the MAC can indeed be given over the phone if necessary so do not give up!

I also quoted this at them from OFCOM for good measure...

A1.12 Where the Communications Provider is unable to, or refuses to, provide a MAC to the End-User, the Communications Provider shall provide the End-User with a clear explanation of why the MAC has not been provided.

As soon as I read this out I was magically put through to a supervisor who was able to generate a MAC there and then whilst I waited! :T

Don't give up!

Kind Regards.
  • muffintop
    muffintop Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also just received my MAC over the phone. It was thanks to this site that I knew that BT had five working days to provide it to me.

I called last Friday night for it and went through the sales spiel and then "accidentally" got cut off just when I was providing my email address. I then called back and spoke to someone else who agreed not to give me the spiel again and just took
    my email address. Suffice to say that by 6.30pm today (five working days later) I had not received it. I called back and spoke to a very nice gentleman who put me on hold for a couple of minutes (which I thought ominous as time ticked on) to generate my MAC. But he did come back to me and he did give me the code over over the phone (I typed it into the O2 box on my computer screen as he gave it to me). So hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be properly saving money - I was being charged a heck of a lot by BT and they never called me to suggest I move from one product to a cheaper one (I have in the past been a company's favourite customer - lazy!).

Ignore the nay-sayers - BT clearly can give it to you over the phone, especially if they have not complied with their obligations!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure