PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I managed to stay within budget in october for the first time:j have declared £300 for November thats for 2 adults 2 sporty teenagers and greedy cat!
    I have decided to start getting something towards :xmastree: each week. last week I got a jar of cranberry sauce and a pack of 4 J+ ( which is aldis version of J2O)
    I am also going to do an inventory of my freezer and cupboards because they are stuffed and I have no idea whats lurking in there and then I will devise a menu round the contents:D
    heres to the November challenge
    thanks to Mrs MC and Pink winged for all the hard work associated with this thread, much appreciated
  • yorksbabe
    yorksbabe Posts: 202 Forumite
    microwave sponge:- 4 1/2 oz margerine, 4 tbsp jam, marmalade or golden syrup, 3 oz sugar, 2 eggs, 4 1/2 self raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp warm water.

Grease a medium sized bowl and spoon jam into the bottom. cream butter and sugar until fluffy and add eggs and beat. add flour and baking powder and stir into butter mix. spoon into bowl. cover with cling film with a hole in ( i normally split a food bag ). microwave on high for 4 minutes and then leave to stand for 1 minute before serving with custard. hope this helps
  • Morning everyone - did you miss me?? I've been awol since July as one of my children has been in hospital and life got turned upside down and inside out. I've cooked about 3 meals since he went in and the rest of the time we've eaten at the hospital - neither nutritious or cost effective. Still we've survived and are now home and well.

My pay month starts this Friday so my November challenge is going to be £350 - to include extras for Christmas shopping, all meals, snacks, lunches and pet stuff. That should hopefully cover us as we have loads of things in the cupboards which haven't been used while we've been out so much.

Good luck everyone, K x
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • New budget for this month is £260.
    Failed and came in way over budget in Oct :o after 2 really good months.Increased budget from £200 to £260 to take into account the new weight control dog food costing about £10 more a week than the usual dog food.Will also make sure OH buys his work breakfast and lunch within this budget.
    Cooker still broken but borrowed an electric counter top stove so I have 2 rings to cook on.OH buying some veggies and sausage on way home so that I can make a big pot of stovies.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Hello,

I am going to up my target slightly to £160 please this month as I am way over for the last two months (still posting on the October thread)

Thank you
    Sparkly
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well first shop for November done today, spent £20.69 but £6 of this was for some Zovirax cold sore cream. Rest was spent on cereals, yogurts, and Dairylea Dunkers for DS nursery packed lunches.

Jackie
  • I'm going to have another go at this - and try for £150 for November, starting on Saturday. And I'm also going to try to organise packed lunches for work - that has to be healthier and cheaper.

So - there's only me and the dog, which should be fairly easy. And if I do feed friends and/or family - well, then I'll be invited back and will still be saving.
  • I've well and truly lost the plot this month. I was on holiday in Italy last week and whenever I go away I seem to lose all interest in keeping to a budget in the weeks either side.

So I'm starting afresh in November and there will be NO excuses!

Can you please put me down for £375 and I promise I will do my best and try very hard and all that. I don't know why I keep failing - I don't do the 'ready meal' thing at all and cook everything from scratch, but I do have a likiing for expensive foodie bits that keep turning my head!

Good luck everyone!
    Mortgage Free as of 03/07/2017 :beer:
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    its only day 3 of my new budget and by the time Mr T comes this afternoon, I will have spent almost a quarter of my monthly budget :eek: I am also planning a trip to Aldi in the next day or so which will add to my spending - need to sit down and add up what Ive spent so far, update my signature etc.

I have my meals sorted until the weekend when I then plan to list the stuff I have in my freezer / fridge etc (as suggested in one of the first threads) - very helpful suggestion - thank you :D

Hoping therefore that after the weekend, will have an idea of what Im eating for the rest of the month and therefore look forward to coming in WELL UNDER BUDGET at the end of the month. (well heres hoping!) Good luck everyone :j

NB

I have enough toiletries to open my own Boots so time to use up everything I have - wonder how many years that will take?!!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi
    Can I be put down for £40 per week
    October went really well with us eating well and also managing to fill our new freezer (not big but adequate) and put some bits away for Xmas

Now I've got my freezer full I plan on socking up tins and dry stuff and keep a lookout for Xmas bargains

Have a good November everyone
    Cuddles:rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills