permitted work

Options
Asking for my DIL, she wants to know what is and isnt permittedf work on IB ? Do you have to clear it with the job centre or have written permission or something ?

Comments

• SteveCat
    SteveCat Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Asking for my DIL, she wants to know what is and isnt permittedf work on IB ? Do you have to clear it with the job centre or have written permission or something ?

Sorry but I cannot answer your question, good luck finding the answer. However I doubt you ever will as I cannot either. However this is the best I have found even though its still not clear: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/IncapacityBenefit/DG_10020667
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    well I agree its very confusing... she (DIL) is running a card making website but it only takes a few hours a week, and hasnt made any money at all yet. ....her accountant friend told her its perfectly ok but I'm not so sure.
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    It's unbelieveably confusing and you do have to declare it.

http://www.opportunities.org.uk/ can advise better - best to call them though - and they can help her get a job ;)
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Permitted Work
    • for earnings of up to and including £20.00 a week for an unlimited period, or
    • for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £92.00 a week for a 52 week period
    • for less than 16 hours a week, on average, and earn up to and including £92.00 a week for as long as your illness or disability is considered sufficiently severe that you are treated as meeting the threshold of incapacity without undergoing a medical assessment

AFAIK you have to report any change of circumstances to DWP.

But if you phone your local job centre plus, they will be able to tell you what she needs to do.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Daisy
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • SteveCat
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    well I agree its very confusing... she (DIL) is running a card making website but it only takes a few hours a week, and hasnt made any money at all yet. ....her accountant friend told her its perfectly ok but I'm not so sure.

If she's not making money then I would suggest she is fine, afterall thats what you are meant to be doing wrong for it to be fraud. If she's not making any money then I cannot see how it can be wrong, she could argue and say its for therapy purposes and why not. I've basically been accused of being a fraudster tonight due to a simple question which I feel the person really needed to get their facts right before replying to it.
    As I said previously its a subject I have been trying to find the answers to myself for ages and cannot. I know I'm not doing anything wrong but the info changes it seems from people to people and place of advise to the next one. With that and to think because of it you maybe doing wrong its no wonder the Benefits system in this country is percieved as a joke, it really is!
  • foxxymynx
    Options
    SteveCat wrote: »
    I've basically been accused of being a fraudster tonight due to a simple question which I feel the person really needed to get their facts right before replying to it.
    As I said previously its a subject I have been trying to find the answers to myself for ages and cannot. I know I'm not doing anything wrong but the info changes it seems from people to people and place of advise to the next one. With that and to think because of it you maybe doing wrong its no wonder the Benefits system in this country is percieved as a joke, it really is!

ask here....let's see if we can advise where to get better info or something?
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • SteveCat
    Options
    Permitted Work
    • for earnings of up to and including £20.00 a week for an unlimited period, or
    • for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £92.00 a week for a 52 week period
    • for less than 16 hours a week, on average, and earn up to and including £92.00 a week for as long as your illness or disability is considered sufficiently severe that you are treated as meeting the threshold of incapacity without undergoing a medical assessment

AFAIK you have to report any change of circumstances to DWP.

But if you phone your local job centre plus, they will be able to tell you what she needs to do.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Daisy

Why would she need to report the fact she isn't earning any money? I find that bloody stupid and a total waste of time.
  • foxxymynx
    Options
    foxxymynx wrote: »
    It's unbelieveably confusing and you do have to declare it.

http://www.opportunities.org.uk/ can advise better - best to call them though - and they can help her get a job ;)

btw these also have the contract with DWP to help get back to work.

If she's making cards and not making any money, she's not working. ;)
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    foxxymynx wrote: »
    ask here....let's see if we can advise where to get better info or something?

I think this is the thread Stevecat is referring to..........

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1237613

But I don't think anyone implied he was a fraudster :confused:
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • foxxymynx
    Options
    yep I've found that one, I thought that there must have been another, because of the thing that was said about being accused of being a fraudster. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure