PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Year a house was built???

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did the esure link and it said my flat was constructed in 1920, it was actually built in the 1970's :-O
  • hotlips69
    Options
    10 years 3 days since 1st post, yet still at the top of google for "year house was built"

old-maps.co.uk was useful for me, but it shows the roads, but not the actual houses.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    problem with getting quotes from online insurance is that it not accurate and plus you have to put in all your details like phone number and then next thing when they dont hear from you, then you end up with numerous calls for the company trying to push you into having it.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An accurate method is to go to your local library archives and ask for Spalding's directory or similar. This was published every year and lists all the houses by street together with the occupier and before the war also their occupation. Choose a random year and if your house is listed keep looking at older copies until it isn't. For example in my street in 1937 only half the houses are listed and in 1938 they all are, which is when mine was built as confirmed on the deeds.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    problem with getting quotes from online insurance is that it not accurate and plus you have to put in all your details like phone number and then next thing when they dont hear from you, then you end up with numerous calls for the company trying to push you into having it.

Nobody's forcing you to put your own phone number in.
  • jonathanrolande
    jonathanrolande Posts: 90 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2016 at 12:45PM
    Options
    There are a few ways to find out how old your house is. I did a video on my blog about it but I don't want to link to it as it will look a bit self promotional. You can easily find it if you search my blog though.

Some tips:
    • Check with the solicitor you used when buying the property, they may have kept a copy.
    • If you have a mortgage, your survey may say how old the building is.
    • Your local authority may have further details about when planning permission was granted.
    • Ask neighbors in the same sort of properties if they know the age of their house.
    • Check the property deeds for further information about when the house was constructed.

If you have lost the deeds to your property you can ask the land registry for a new copy.

You could also look on a website called old-maps.co.uk which can give you a rough indicator or when your house might have been constructed.

The majority of building was carried out in Victorian times up to about 1901 and then there were gaps in the two World Wars, 1914 – 1918 and 1939 – 1945, almost no properties build then.

Probably the best way is checking the deeds if you have them to hand or just ask a local estate agents :)

Hope that helps.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,791 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to add to the mix on this subject again as it's been a few years since our last post.

We did a blog in Nov 14 which may also be of interest

Deeds can sometimes help re 20th century and more recent builds but that may not always be the case. Deeds are created when the land/property is conveyed/transferred rather than when a building is erected/demolished/erected for example. They may offer clues but won;t always be definitive
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jonathanrolande
    jonathanrolande Posts: 90 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Hi, there didn't seem to be a way of checking a property age easily so I built a calculator which asks some straight-forward questions and then calculates the age to within a few years or so. Hope it helps.
    It's at https://housebuyfast.co.uk/blog/how-can-i-find-out-when-my-house-was-built/
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's at least 20 years out for me I'm afraid.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, there didn't seem to be a way of checking a property age easily so I built a calculator which asks some straight-forward questions and then calculates the age to within a few years or so. Hope it helps.
    It's at https://housebuyfast.co.uk/blog/how-can-i-find-out-when-my-house-was-built/

Congratulations on spamming the forum.

As for your 'calculator', it doesn't even have my area of the UK in, pretty useless if you ask me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure