'Is Santa hit by the Credit Crunch?' blog discussion

Replies

• AdastaAdasta Forumite
    28 Posts
    badbunny42 wrote: »
    This is a real worry for us, our 7 year old really takes things to heart and is going to be hard hit by the Santa conversation. She was distraught enough when she lost a tooth down the sink while washing it (it turned out that the tooth fairy was small enough to fit through the plug hole and get it).
    The trouble is, we will need to do it without shaking the christianity she is developing despite living in a house of athiests.

What do either of these ideas have to do with Christianity?
  • I think I'm going to have to explain that the Elves have had a really busy year so haven't been able to do as much as in previous years. Greatly admire all you who keep it to a small basic stocking (though not the honest-at-all-costs-and-remove-all-the-magic people, sorry, just not my style!). Must admit, am worried about how we're going to manage this year, not so much the credit crunch, just a spendthrift husband who decided this summer he deserved a brand new Triumph motorbike!
  • Like one of the posters above, my parents never tried to pretend that presents came from anyone other than family and friends. Stocking fillers always had 'from Santa Claus' on them but I always knew that they were from my Grandparents. My sister and I had strict instructions not to tell other children.
    I really see no point in lying to children - surely it is nicer for them to know that you love them and want to give them presents than to think that they are part of a mass high-speed delivery of gifts!
  • earthmotherearthmother Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    We do things along the same lines as Lex and CC Bloom.

Christmas lists are done the weekend after Bonfire Night, and the kids are made aware that Santa will buy them one (reasonably-priced) present from it, and also fill their stockings up. Our reasoning being that he has to deliver all over the world, and there isn't room on his sleigh for more than one toy and a few treats per child (this is where the Norad site helps - gives them an idea of how far he has to go).

Once he's finished with the list, he sends it to Grandma and the rest of the family, so they have an idea of what else the boys would like.

At the same time, we are honest about our money - they know it's tight (as much as a 7, 5 and 2.5 year old need to), and not to expect huge piles of presents. But we've always worked that way, so they've been brought up not to ask for silly amounts, just as we were as children - we just understood that £200 toys were not an option.

Luckily this year the elder two have had fixed interests, and the youngest is still young enough not to care what he gets so long as he can rip paper, so I've been able to buy in advance and they're virtually done (if anything major changes then we shuffle things around the family - the Greats find it easier for me or Grandma to pick things up for them to give anyway). I'll be honest, if we hadn't done it that way, the would be very little under the tree this year as financial commitments have changed very suddenly in recent months and even without the 'credit crunch' costs, the 'spare' just isn't there at the moment.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • takataka Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My parents made me break it to my wee brother that there was no Santa when things were really tight. (I am 3 yrs older) He was at the "still want to believe or I wont get pressies from Santa but have suspisions" stage. I was not his favourite person for a while but he was fine by Xmas itself!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Lexis200Lexis200 Forumite
    267 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    pezza88 wrote: »
    I really see no point in lying to children - surely it is nicer for them to know that you love them and want to give them presents than to think that they are part of a mass high-speed delivery of gifts!

I don't get this - I haven't met a single kid who would describe pressies from Father Christmas (while they are young enough to believe in him) as 'part of a mass high-speed delivery of gifts'. This strikes me as your ideals put onto them, or at the very least expecting a much higher level of understanding than your average 5/6/7 year old is capable of.

Whilst we do indulge our two with the idea of FC, we were not the ones to implant this idea. When they were very little all pressies were from us, when they got older and got the idea of FC from other kids (and could actually read tags - otherwise what's the point!!), we started to mark a few pressies from him in their stockings.

When they stop beliving it (not long now I suspect for my 7 year old), I'll be sad but I won't be trying to get him to carry on with the idea.

In complete contrast to the above quote, I don't see the point in dispelling a childhood fantasy that kids want to believe in, especially when all their friends likely believe the same thing. The only purpose that can serve is to make them feel like the odd one out with their friends, at a time when belonging to a group is very important.

Why not let them be kids for a few years before they have to grow up and realise nothing is magical?
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
  • sarah*asarah*a Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you could always tell them that the price of reindeer food has gone up so Santa needs to carry smaller presents to enable him to get all round the world on limited fuel:confused: :rotfl:

Thankfully we don't have that problem anymore - at 14 DD would just mutter something sarcastic if any of her gifts had 'from Santa' on them :rolleyes: :rotfl:
  • BOBSBOBS Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We always told our children (now 9, 6 and 4) ... that we have to send Santa money so he can bring pressies, and that he couldnt afford to bring all the children nice gifts without some help..... so hopefully they understand that since things are tighter this year, we might not have as much money to send Santa.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Adasta wrote: »
    What do either of these ideas have to do with Christianity?

What with Father Christmas, Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, how does Jesus stand a chance?!
    :heart2: Give blood. :female: Use a mooncup.
    But ensure the two are not connected!
  • BOBSBOBS Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as children know the meaning of why we celebrate Christmas and Easter I dont think there is any harm in it they are only children after all.
    My children are being brought up in a Christian home with strong Christian values and they understand the main reason for these celebrations.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News