NATWEST ADVANTAGE GOLD - Furious!

Options

Comments

• bitsnbytes
    Options
    Thanks for that, I've upgraded my account today and the advisor said I have upto 90 days to change my mind and cancel if I want (fully refundable). I guess I'll read the welcome pack and see if I can save £12.95 a month :)
    Kavanne wrote: »
    there is a top limit to the value of the phone. You can get through to the adgold phone insurance people on 08453003695 (I don't know geographical number, sorry!) and ask if they would be covered before you upgrade.
    This is what it says online, so I assume that phones upto £500 should be covered. I've checked and my stellar should not be more than £450 and the N95 8GB should again be around the same value. The only question I had is I got these phones free on a contract. So the invoice shows 0.00 for the phones. Will the insurance company honor this? :confused: Also, both the contracts are in my name but my wife uses one phone and I use the other. So again not sure if the insurance company will allow this since they say they can insure upto 2 phones if it is a joint account, so I assume they mean my phone and my wifes :confused:
    Take advantage of Mobile Phone Insurance worth up to £144. It covers loss, theft, accidental damage, mechanical failure and unauthorised calls. We'll even send you a brand new phone (including SIM card) in the event of loss, theft or if the phone cannot be repaired up to the maximum original retail value of £500 including VAT. If you have a joint account you can also obtain cover for your family member. Cover also includes PDA’s.
    Please note: cover will commence 21 days after you register your details
    Kavanne wrote: »
    It's level 2 greenflag cover and the insurance policy document can be found at www.natwest.com/adgold for your to review before you upgrade :)
    I got the number from natwest and they confirmed that you get a level 2 cover from green flag, they gave me a number 08452464297 (no geographical number sorry) to call for an upgrade and they gave me a quote of £53 :eek: A lot more than I expected considering that I got a quote online for £73 to purchase level 4.

So am still undecided, I plan to cancel my RAC cover (which I renewed for £95 about 10 days back) and might end up taking green flag cover for £73 even if the ad gold doesn't work out. Is this a good idea?
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    bitnbytes, I don't really want to comment on whether it's a good idea or not. You need to ask adgold if they will cover both phones in your name or whether one needs to be in your wife's name.

Will you use anything else? I suggest making a list of everything that you will use from adgold and see how much you can save. If it's more than £155 a year then yeah, i guess it would be worth it, right?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• NClaiborne
    Options
    Well just to update - I wrote a letter of complaint and copied to Natwest . Within 24 hours got a call from the insurance company who informed me they had reviewed and accepted my claim. So all sorted , very quickly too. Wonder if Natwest respond to the letter also!

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

I am having the same problem with NatWest insurance. My phone was stolen late on a Friday night. Reported it to the police and service provider with 24hrs but didn't get online until Monday morning at work when I filled in claim form online. So I was just over 48 hours. What did you write to them in order for them t change their minds?

NClaiborne
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've always got my iPhone with me, so if I need to get online and report it stolen, I can.

Oh, hang on, wait...
  • ladyloulou
    Options
    bitsnbytes wrote: »
    The only question I had is what level of breakdown do they offer? Does anyone have any experiences? I require cover on the lines of recovery plus so I can be assured I can get my car back home (wherever I breakdown)
    We just had to use it the standard one, you get 10 miles local recovery (any miles over which you have to pay) they should arrive within 60 minutes or you get to claim £10 (they're late so we will) and then 30 minutes roadside assistance.

I would go with someone else!
  • emeraldbugle
    emeraldbugle Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seems they are up to their old tricks. It says on Natwest

If your phone has been lost, stolen or maliciously damaged then, within the 24 hours following your discovery of the incident, you must:
    • Inform the police and get an incident reference number
    • Contact your airtime provider to bar your SIM card and to stop any further unauthorised calls being made
    You must register your claim within 48 hours of discovering the incident.

I dropped my phone down the loo, it was in a bag of rice for a couple of days drying out. I turned it on and it was fine, then a week later it started playing up. My claim is none of the above, it is accidental damage and apparently 'I haven't notified them within the correct time period'.

:mad:
  • jetone
    Options
    bitsnbytes wrote: »
    Glad that your claim is sorted :) Actually I'm toying with the idea of having this account myself since they offer free breakdown with green flag and also the fact that I have 2 very expensive mobile phones (Nokia N95 8GB and O2 XDA Stellar) costing almost £1000 in value. Also the free travel insurance :)

The only question I had is what level of breakdown do they offer? Does anyone have any experiences? I require cover on the lines of recovery plus so I can be assured I can get my car back home (wherever I breakdown)

I dropped my iphone and claimed with proof of purchase and proof of use from O2 confirmed. They took 30 days to say it was beyond economical repair and offered me a blackberry or HtC which I refused and then was offered £200 . I complained and then they offered £239 as a final settlement which won get me a phone on ebay. They don't offer later models ( mine was a 3G) or replacements and suggest you try and get apple refurbished.
    I had cancelled my O2 insurance after Natwest staff recommended this service.
    DON"T waste you time its useless insurance. Its forty days and still have no phone or satisfaction
    The green flag breakdown cover is useless too as it only covers you up to 10 miles from home.
    I imagine all these services are a waste of time so don't bother.
  • premierfella
    Options
    Not a defence of the insurance provider (you shouldn't have to go through all the messing about and delay before getting to the £239 figure) but that final offer seems reasonable to me at least given (as I understand it) you can't buy the same model new now. The terms allow them to replace with a refurbished (12 month guarantee) model under such circumstances and £239 will easily buy you a "refurbished" like-for-like replacement on ebay with some change.

Surely you didn't really expect them to replace a 3G with a new, much better spec, iphone just because the 3G has now been discontinued? Personally I would be happier in your position with the cash offer to buy a new phone on the market. They could have provided a refurbished iphone 3G they could have sourced from anywhere (even with the 12 month guarantee you'd have then had the potential issues of having to claim under the 12 month guarantee if the replacement was a dud).
  • oran_1
    Options
    After reading the posts on this thread, I have to say I am not surprised the bank has failed so many people. I worked for Natwest for 3 long laborious years! And all they ever did (do) is try to screw their customers out of as much money as humanly possible!! I would NOT recommend the above account to anyone in any circumstance and made a point of not selling it while I worked there (much to the great annoyance of the management team) Natwest try their best to promote themselves as "helpful" banking, but quite frankly they are a big joke. (hence the 24 billion loss) due to their outrages and down right stupid purchase of the dutch bank ABN AMRO! (amongst others)

Not many people know that Natwest are the hinge pin in the worthless RBS group up until the Government made their own ridiculous decision to pump the nations billions back into this worthless, useless organisation!! So not surprisingly we have all been screwed on two levels. On the High street and by the Government.

Don't expect any changes either as whilst Mr Cameron has pledged to change the UK Retail banking sector, he has in fact changed nothing. So in a nut shell I would avoid this account like the plague and would ignore any of the banks "personal reviews" and other "helpful" tactics to try to sell as much crap that you don't need to you as possible!!

Take my advice only use them for what you need and nothing more! But please be polite to the cashiers as you decline their request as it's not their fault and the managers give them all a VERY hard time about it. I hope this helps you make an informed choice in the future. :D
  • Deca
    Deca Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Yeah, this insurance is pretty much worthless. Having got the phone stolen while abroad (and using a local SIM card, which I blocked while abroad), insurance got refused for not blocking with the *UK* phone company until returned to the UK. Makes no sense, even when looking at their own rules:

"If your phone has been lost, stolen or maliciously damaged then, within the 24 hours following your discovery of the incident, you must:
    • Inform the police and get an incident reference number
    • Contact your airtime provider to bar your SIM card and to stop any further unauthorised calls being made
    You must register your claim within 48 hours of discovering the incident.
    If you’re outside the UK at the time of discovering the incident, you must register your claim within 48 hours of return to the UK. Please note we won’t replace your device until you return to the UK."

So, in the end, a total waste of time spending 5-6 hours dealing with the insurance people and officials for nothing, a more annoying loss than the money itself. Maybe I am must riled enough to complain to Natwest itself - quite the scam this account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure