We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Student with a car

2

Comments

  • anewman wrote: »
    The other thing to do of course is to change the car. The best approach is to get quotes and ensure you can afford the insurance *BEFORE* buying a car. I think you will find some other cars may well be cheaper on insurance, if you stick in a few other different cars.

    This ones a group 4 I think, I used a clio as an example as that's group 1, but only came out £100 cheaper, when I say only, it is alot but clio's cost more so would cost more overall
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think even in the same insurance group, for different cars prices will be different. Instead of Clio, Corsa, Saxo - think Daewoo Matiz, Daihatsu Cuore and Move, Hyundai Atoz, Suzuki Wagon R+. All not very exciting, and no street cred, but these cars tend to sell relatively cheaply and I'd guess they're possibly cheaper on insurance. Worth a try anyway as all you have to do is call up the quote and keep changing the car :)
  • Did you try Quinn Direct?
    My son and son in law are both with them as they were the cheapest by far.

    Y-L
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,397
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yvonneem wrote: »
    Her dad is policy holder and she named driver earning her own ncb.
    Isn't that fraud?
  • alanrowell wrote: »
    Isn't that fraud?

    If its the fathers car and he uses it most, no.

    Some insurance companies allow names drivers to build up their no claims

    However i have heard reports of other inusrance companies not accepting the no claims from the named drivers


    ANYWAY back to the actual question, he already has the car and has insured it!
  • If its the fathers car and he uses it most, no.

    Some insurance companies allow names drivers to build up their no claims

    However i have heard reports of other inusrance companies not accepting the no claims from the named drivers


    ANYWAY back to the actual question, he already has the car and has insured it!

    ahh, just re read it, he has not insured it yet!

    Yeah hunt around a bit on all the sites, dont forget quidco cash back i got £65 with morethan back
  • ameratsu
    ameratsu Posts: 87
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can only get a parent to insure it as main policy holder + named driver when the parent is the registered keeper of the vehicle and also uses the car regularly. I have a fiesta which my 18 year old daughter is insured on and I make sure that I use it too, even though I have use of another car.
    I have just changed from a 1.0 ltr. corsa to the 1.25 si fiesta, so I'm expecting a hike in November - unfortunately Diamond, who insures us, doesn't let the named driver build up any no claims, but they are a lot cheaper than the ones that do.
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i presume it's not taxed either?

    is it parked on the road?

    don't buy another car before you know how much it's going to cost you (unless you've inherited it of course)
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • mon1o
    mon1o Posts: 749 Forumite
    i have to say ive never heard of fronting! Does this apply to spouses (is that right?) as well as parents/children? Out of interest by the way....im not guilty of this.

    Monica x
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mon1o wrote: »
    Does this apply to spouses (is that right?) as well as parents/children?

    Technically it would yes, if there were two cars in a husband's name and insured in his name with one with the wife added as a named driver, and she had an accident on the way to work and often made that journey, then that would clearly be a case of fronting.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.