We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Student with a car

Hello =D
I got a '95 1.1 Fiat Punto 55sx 2 days ago
Being 17 my insurance is going to be high, and I can't go on either of my parents insurance (mobility car/Don't insure under 25's) cheapest has been £1590 without passplus :mad:

So to save money, I've aimed at fuel consumption, Any tips on getting the most mileage out of my car?

Thanks
«13

Comments

  • dont drive it hard
  • Today my daughter aged 17 insured a 04 Punto active sport for £598 with direct line. Her dad is policy holder and she named driver earning her own ncb. I know you said you can't get your parents to do it for you but do you not have older experienced relative who would do this for you?
  • Hey Yvonne

    Only older experienced driver is my Grandad, I've been told you can't use NCB on two policys?

    I asked my dad about what if he was the policy holder and I was the additional driver (with direct line, where I got the current quote from) But he said that because of his current policy he can't use his NCB on another policy, He has 22 years NCB but I doubt that will make a difference lol
  • norbie
    norbie Posts: 137 Forumite
    Get your parents to insure the car in their name and add you as a named driver. It will be much cheaper.

    Alternatively just buy a buss pass. The savings will be astronomical. Imagine if you crash in your first year, next year's insurance will be double!
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 7,173
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Try adding your dad as a named driver, somtimes this reduces the cost.
  • Added my mum as a named driver, got it down from £1680
    My mum has no NCB as she was on my dads insurance ages ago, then they split, and since then she's always had a mobility car and so hasn't been gaining NCB which sucks

    I'm sure there's a way to get my insurance at least under a grand, just need to know how =|
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you tried *all* the comparison sites? Also try some of the cheaper insurers directly on their own sites, and give www.ecarinsurance.co.uk a try. Make sure to declare all security features (immobiliser etc). Also give third party fire theft a try as that can sometimes be cheaper than third party only.
    yvonneem wrote: »
    Today my daughter aged 17 insured a 04 Punto active sport for £598 with direct line. Her dad is policy holder and she named driver earning her own ncb. I know you said you can't get your parents to do it for you but do you not have older experienced relative who would do this for you?
    norbie wrote: »
    Get your parents to insure the car in their name and add you as a named driver. It will be much cheaper.

    Alternatively just buy a buss pass. The savings will be astronomical. Imagine if you crash in your first year, next year's insurance will be double!

    This is called "policy fronting" and is illegal. The NCB is also only usable with Direct Line so pretty much worthless as most other insurers will be cheaper anyway. And if you crash the insurance is invalid, and will not pay up, a

    Read here for further info and details from a source other than me so you know I'm not telling porkies...

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm
  • I first tried comparison sites and they came up as £2000 minimum
    Guess there's no other alternative than to just pay the outrageous prices

    Thanks for the help
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The other thing to do of course is to change the car. The best approach is to get quotes and ensure you can afford the insurance *BEFORE* buying a car. I think you will find some other cars may well be cheaper on insurance, if you stick in a few other different cars.
  • Tried the eCar quote and it came out as £2000 3rd party f+f
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.