Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Options

Comments

• petersandyglen
    Options
    I have posted previous questions on here about my problem. I think I have now got a definative answer and would like to pass it on for others to be aware of, or correction by those more knowledgable than me.
    I saw a car advertised on e-bay, the company required that I pay all the money up front before delivery. I phoned Trading Standards, told them I was thinking of buying a car on E-bay and asked for advice.
    I was told to pay a deposit by credit card then I would be covered under section 75. Things have gone bad and I start to think about claiming money back from my C.C. co.
    I now find out that because I paid through their Pay-pal account I am not covered under section 75 as pay-pal is a third party. I think everybody should be made aware of this loophole. I especially think that a professional body like Trading Standards should have asked me was I thinking of paying through pay-pal, even though I didn't say so. PEOPLE BE WARNED your contract has to be DIRECTLY with the company for this to be so.
    If I am wrong on this someone please correct me, I am £7000 down because of not knowing I should have mentioned pay-pal. Peter.
  • joolznpete
    Options
    We are due to fly to USA in a months time on non-refundable tickets booked & paid for last July. We may have to cancel as my Mum is ill in hospital. We will be unable to claim on travel insurance as she was already in hospital when we took it out. Will we able to claim our money back from the credit card we paid with, as they often offer extra insurance protection?
  • chillone
    chillone Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I drove my girlfriend to hospital who has a broken leg. I parked in the car park at 8:20am. My girlfriend had an 8:30am appointment in the physio department. It took two hours to help her walk to the hospital, have the appointment and get back to the car which had been clamped. I phoned the number on the ticket and gave the lady my reg number. She told me i had parked five minutes over the maximum time and that i had to pay £150 to remove the clamp. She even agreed with me that this was a bit harsh but told me i had to pay this to get my car back, so i reluctantly paid with my credit car, she then told me there was a £5 charge for using the card which i had no choice but to pay.

I was told if i damaged the clamp they would take off an extra £100. When i got home i noticed my alloy was a scuffed. Can i claim for that?

The main question is, can i get my £155.00 back i reluctantly paid, using section 75?
  • mathmodave
    Options
    I'm approaching the point where I may need to may a Section 75 claim...
    ... but is there any reason where I'd want to think twice about doing so?

ie/eg - is there any evidence of credit card companies remembering that you Section 75'd them and treating such a customer less favourably in the future? and/or somehow making a note of the claim on one's credit record etc.?

(Presumably to do so would be illegal, but that's not the same as saying it doesn't happen!)
  • expeditionist
    Options
    If I've approached a mechanic to fix a specific prolem with my car and he's diagnosed work to be carried out, carried out his prescribed work, I've paid him for that work, but the specific problem I approached him to fix wasn't fixed because it's down to some other cause.

Can I get my money back under section 75 on the grounds that the work they did didn't fix the problem I approached them to fix? (service not delivered)

Just an idea?

Thanks
  • louise_leathers
    Options
    Does section 75 cover you if you pay with your credit card to a company for home improvements it they went bust or it turns out they are not a legitimate company?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does section 75 cover you if you pay with your credit card to a company for home improvements it they went bust or it turns out they are not a legitimate company?

Yes, as long as the cost is between £100-30,000.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• kazzafromtheuk
    Options
    I will try and keep it simple.......

Hired a car abroad. Car was basically old and tired looking, had over 40000kms on the clock and on the return journey to the airport it broke down. As a result flight was missed.

Have contacted Egg who have said we're not covered. I'm thinking that we paid for goods that were not fit for purpose and so they should be getting involved?

Any opinions appreciated. Many thanks
  • blav
    blav Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I had booked a flight to Belfast and a hotel for the night to attend a concert a the Waterfront Hall - the concert was cancelled due to a band member being ill.
    Can I get a refund from my credit card for the hotel & flight?? - its less than £100
  • dibbo
    dibbo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I need to claim from my credit card company the deposit to land of leather for breach of contract. reading the forum i am confused about what i can claim, is it just the deposit or the full purchase price even though i have only paid the deposit. Do i put the full ammount on the claim form or the deposit. hope someone can clear this up for me I will be sending the clain in to my credit card company soon..

Ps Keep the good work up Martin and your staff your you should get a knighthood for your work.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure