We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help - "Traffic Violation" in Italy

124

Comments

  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Twopints wrote: »
    From the link in post #18:

    No, but if you are driving and get pulled over by the cops they will possibly see an unpaid fine registered against you. However this would -I would assume- usually only aply to criminal offences such as speeding ticket, parking ticket, murder etc etc a parking zone penalty is likely to be civil and therfore unlikely to appear on the Italian PNC.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Wasn't there a story a while back in the news of a foreigner in Italy asking for a beer and then being demanded to pay some ridiculous sum and the police made him pay it or something? Have tried some googling but can't find the story.
  • leviathan
    leviathan Posts: 257 Forumite
    100 Posts
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    ...hardly ethical or honest either :rolleyes: :A

    You think targetting the motorist for excessive fines is legitimate and should be encouraged?
    I'm sure you are 100% angelic and never broken or bent any laws huh :rolleyes:


    I've been stung for extra insurance in Coratia or Serbia, I forget which it was. I wish could have paid that with a credit card (wanted cash only) and I'd have taken it back later.

    I was 100% legal at the time, but try arguing when the customs guy has a gun, all your documents in hand and you don't speak the lingo.


    People from abroad who get fines here don't pay them. I don't feel like paying them abroad either. It's quite nice going through foreign speed cameras and knowing you wont get a fine from it :p
  • anewman wrote: »
    Wasn't there a story a while back in the news of a foreigner in Italy asking for a beer and then being demanded to pay some ridiculous sum and the police made him pay it or something? Have tried some googling but can't find the story.


    I can belive this. While in Florence (on the same trip) I stopped at a Cafe for a drink as it was a hot day. I ordered a coke which wasn't cheap by any measure at something like 4 Euros but in addition to this I was made to pay an extra 5 Euros for having it brought to my table (this extra cost was not advertised on their menu). So at 9 Euros that is the most expensive coke I ever bought.

    Looking back my trip to Italy is probably the worst holiday I have ever been on - they rip you off at every turn.
  • [quote=leviathan;14772213It's_quite_nice_going_through_foreign_speed_cameras_and_knowing_you_wont_get_a_fine_from_it_:p[/quote]


    I hope your joking
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    leviathan wrote: »
    You think targetting the motorist for excessive fines is legitimate and should be encouraged?
    I'm sure you are 100% angelic and never broken or bent any laws huh :rolleyes:
    Not at all, ive got 3points on my license and paid the fine! Ive never been in prison or been cautioned for anything, but we are all human and stuff happens. It's how you react to it that shows your metal. The laws are there for reasons, and it's not for us to judge what's right or wrong. Just like the cash-cow speed cameras here, it's not essentially 'right', but it's the law of the land, so you should adhear to that.
    leviathan wrote: »
    It's quite nice going through foreign speed cameras and knowing you wont get a fine from it :p
    :rolleyes: hardly ethical or honest is it?! ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • leviathan
    leviathan Posts: 257 Forumite
    100 Posts
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    The laws are there for reasons, and it's not for us to judge what's right or wrong.
    Well actually it is really...
    Just like the cash-cow speed cameras here, it's not essentially 'right', but it's the law of the land, so you should adhear to that.
    No. If you disagree with something you believe is injust you should fight against it else you'll just be walked all over.
    The govt is there for the good of us, if they make foolish choices we should encourage them to rethink them.
    :rolleyes: hardly ethical or honest is it?! ;)
    It's about as ethical as having them there in the first place, and as honest.


    Speeding isn't dangerous.
    Speeding in the wrong place is. There is a BIG distinction between the two of them.
    Exercise some judgement on that instead of being a sheep.


    FWIW, I have no points on my license and the speed limit in built up areas is there for good reason. This is going to sound odd but I have in fact had a crash preiously due to not enough speed :o

    We have some poor laws relating to speed in this country.
    See the differnces between Autobahns and UK Motorways. But the Germans are much better drivers than us, generally.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    I agree :shocked:

    The speed limits were put there when we had drum brakes front and rear and tyre technologies were poor etc, so the motorway and some other limits should be reassessed...

    ...but that doesnt give us the right to flaunt the law (as mentioned above) with the attitude that 'I dont agree with the speed limit, so stick it, and I wont pay any fine'!
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • leviathan
    leviathan Posts: 257 Forumite
    100 Posts
    Not a lot of chance of avoiding a fine in the UK is there?
    It's more about avoidance.
    I agree with some speed limits, not all of them. Goes with what I said about exercising judgement.
    IMHO if you get caught speeding in a 30 zone you pretty much deserve it.

    Sitting in your car glued to the speedometer less you go over the limit and get a fine is counterproductive to safety.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    leviathan wrote: »
    Not a lot of chance of avoiding a fine in the UK is there?
    Depends if you subscribe to the Pepipoo nonsense. That's just finding loopholes and ways around the fact that the law has been broken and they dont want to pay up!

    Disclaimer ~ Not in all cases im sure...
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.