We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

3 year car service/MOT

2

Comments

  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pinkshoes, i think yo mebe had a type, your car must be worth nearly 10 times what you siad, £350 dont be silly . Il buy it from you for £500.
    (If its not a typo, whoever told you it was worth £3

    As far as your first MOT, the big garages charge what they like.
    Find an independent garage, they will charge you a reasoable price and i guarantee they will not rip you off, they rely on repeat custom.

    We took out a service agreement when we bought our Aygo three years agao at £10.31 per month for 3 years which was a great bargain.Great to drive in for a service and no bill. Just a tip if youre buying new again.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    Pinkshoes, I don't know much about cars, but I think you are seriously under valuing yours.

    lol yes, I meant £3500!! I have a stupid sticky 0 key at home due to a hot chocolate spillage a while ago!! It either doesn't type the '0', or types several in a row!! I'll put my glasses on in future to spot these things!

    Thanks everyone for the advice. My handbook says it's due a major service, hence it's more than last year. I already negotiated them down from £325, so will phone some other garages today to check prices.

    Thank you!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Go to http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice and you can see what needs doing. It includes plugs change, aircon check, all wheels off and check brakes etc.

    Thank you for this link! I was searching for something like that!

    It's good to know what they check. Some dufus smashed into the back of my beloved KA a few months ago, with repairs costing around £3k (ha ha - his insurance not mine), but it'll be reassuring to know if the garage assigned to repair it did a proper job!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • debred86
    debred86 Posts: 121 Forumite
    if you have a Nationwide Autocentres near you, i think they have an offer on if you book online.

    Think service and mot is cheaper than what you have been quoted so far anyway, they have a website you can look on.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    debred86 wrote: »
    if you have a Nationwide Autocentres near you, i think they have an offer on if you book online.

    Think service and mot is cheaper than what you have been quoted so far anyway, they have a website you can look on.

    None anywhere near us I'm afraid!

    At least the place I had it done last year did a good job, and I trust them, which is a start.

    I'm out 7.30am until 6pm, and other places I've tried won't come and pick the car up, so I'd have to drop it off and hire a car (so will lose wages from time off plus cost of hire car).

    Some companies seem so rude you wonder if they want the business or not!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    i think kwik fit have an offer on for MOT and service for £99 if im not mistaken
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i think kwik fit have an offer on for MOT and service for £99 if im not mistaken

    Wait for the warnings to come flooding in.
    .....

  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Wait for the warnings to come flooding in.

    :rotfl: No need for warnings! Wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole! We had our brakes and discs checked on our old LH drive car, and they said it was all fine, so we must've been imagining it feeling odd when braking. Drove all the way to France, and took the car for it's controle technique (MOT), where we were told the brakes were dangerous and heavily braking on one side... They were astounded when we told them we'd had everything checked before leaving the UK!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sorryyyyyy
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pinkshoes, i think yo mebe had a type, your car must be worth nearly 10 times what you siad, £350 dont be silly . Il buy it from you for £500.
    (If its not a typo, whoever told you it was worth £3

    As far as your first MOT, the big garages charge what they like.
    Find an independent garage, they will charge you a reasoable price and i guarantee they will not rip you off, they rely on repeat custom.

    We took out a service agreement when we bought our Aygo three years agao at £10.31 per month for 3 years which was a great bargain.Great to drive in for a service and no bill. Just a tip if youre buying new again.
    I've not got a calculator to hand... so what does that work out at per service or per year??? Got a feeling that you have a bum deal.........

    Ist service £80 - second similar - ..... third not far off first...
    Genie
    Master Technician
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.