We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

3 year car service/MOT

pinkshoes
pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I have a 55 plate KA, so only worth about £3500, and it now needs it's first MOT and a 3 year service.

I got a reminder through from the Ford Garage who serviced it last year, who quoted me £175 for their Premier Value Service and MOT (half price if booked at same time as service).

I phoned another garage, who wanted £250 for the two, so decided to go with the first one, as they were nice last time. When I phoned them back, they then said I needed a full service and MOT, which will cost £300! I pointed out that they didn't mention this last time, and what was the difference, so they waffled something about filter changes, and insisted I needed this full service.

I've been thinking about it all afternoon, and think it's way too expensive for my ickle Ka! I feel like they're trying to rip me off...

So, can anyone shed some light on what I actually NEED when a car reaches 3 years old??!?

Thanks!
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
«13

Comments

  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    It depends on how many miles are on the clock.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

    Plato


  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,695
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    It depends on how many miles are on the clock.

    Oh, 24k I think. (too cold to go out and check!!)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Maybe it's due a bigger service then. Check your handbook and phone a couple of smaller garages before you book it in.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

    Plato


  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would be due the bigger service this time round. I am sure that you will find a good independent near you who can be competitve re the price. An MOT should not cost more that around £53 - lower hopefully.

    An independent will service your car and change/replace only what needs replacing. Hopefully they will check the spark plugs - and grease them even if they do not need replacing, as they have a tendency to rot in.

    The service should only be 2 hours labour at most. Hopefully that will give you a guide line as to what is or isn't a good price. Its not worth skimping on a service, personally, I like to know that my car has been gone over thoroughly and is safe to drive.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • sell me the ka
  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 761
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    I offer £400
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,528
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Go to http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice and you can see what needs doing. It includes plugs change, aircon check, all wheels off and check brakes etc.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Go to http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice and you can see what needs doing. It includes plugs change, aircon check, all wheels off and check brakes etc.
    All of the above (and more) should be checked on ANY service if the garage is worth any salt.........
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • catz1ct
    catz1ct Posts: 828
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I reckon garages must make a packet on services lol.
    :rotfl:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pinkshoes, I don't know much about cars, but I think you are seriously under valuing yours.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.