Edinburgh - Princes Street - Rant!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
51 replies 4.3K views
maggiesoupmaggiesoup Forumite
676 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
I've thought about doing this for ages now, but last night, walking home along Princes Street, made me realise once again how horribly tacky it's become and I just feel incensed every time I walk along it.

Everytime I speak to family and friends we all agree that we can't understand how the "powers that be" get away with letting this major tourist attraction in Scotland become so bad.

The area which is particularly awful is the stretch of Princes Street between Frederick and Castle Street where I think there are THREE really shabby "Scottish souveniers" shops. Bad enough in itself, but what really gets my goat is how they're allowed to have loud, offensive "Scottish pipes" music blaring out continually all day.

As I say, I've lots count of the amount of people I've spoken to who are really saddened at how vulgar most of Princes street has become. I realise rents must be ridiculously expensive and retailers must have to sell a lot to make a profit, but we can't understand how they're allowed to make the outside of their shops look so tacky - with offensive music blasting out?

Can anyone advise if I can start some sort of petition to try to do something about this and regain the elegant look this street had many years ago?

Sorry, rant over!

Replies

• I totally agree. It horrible and tracky and that music drives me mad! I now go to Glasgow, Livingston and Dunfermline shopping now as its soooooo terrible. If you can start a petition I'll be the first to sign and im sure id have LOADS of other people willing to aswell. xx
    0/2013
    :beer:
  • teapot2teapot2 Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree and the top end of the Royal Mile is just as bad :eek:
  • You're right; I totally agree!

One avenue might be to speak to someone at VisitScotland: it's in their interest to neaten up tourist attractions and I've found them helpful in this sort of thing before (I'm up highland perthshire way). They might be able to use their influence to get something done.
    LBM : August 2007
    my debts: less than this time last year....!
    DFW Nerd Club #706I'm Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • I agree too!! It looks awful walking along Princes Street now.

I thought the OP could have been my mum though. :rotfl: She is always saying about how terrible it looks now compared to years gone by.

I know a guy who works for visitscotland, but don't think they can really do anything about it, but will have a word with him about it next time I speak to him.
  • maggiesoupmaggiesoup Forumite
    676 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    elkay115 wrote: »
    I agree too!! It looks awful walking along Princes Street now.

I thought the OP could have been my mum though. :rotfl: She is always saying about how terrible it looks now compared to years gone by.

I know a guy who works for visitscotland, but don't think they can really do anything about it, but will have a word with him about it next time I speak to him.

Thanks, please keep me advised as to what he says, clearly there's lots of support in this area! I'll drop VS an email too and see what the official line is.
  • valk_scotvalk_scot Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, back in the 70's they had a cinema right in the middle of Princes St that showed "Adult" movies. And a gay strip club in the early '80's. And the big Woolies that occupied the station end of Princes St in the 60's and early 70's was the tackiest place I've ever been in, with the tartan swathed cafe upstairs. So which decade of tackiness are we trying to rewind to?

I do miss Forsyths though. And Binns. (Showing my age here...) And though it's not precisely Princes St, how about part of Patrick Thompsons on the Bridges now being an Argos outlet? And what about the whole of the Bridges, right down to the old Arnotts and James Thins? Ahh, these were the days.......
    Val.
  • jockettukjockettuk Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    im originally from glasgow and remember school trips to Our Capital City and wanted to show my daughter scotlands capital and took her up last year.. how dissapointed.. walking down the main areas of the capital and it was once tourist shop after another why cant they make these one every half mile lol.. the only way to show her any kind of edinburgh was to go on one of those rip off bus trips and even then they seemed to stop very early.. she came away with the opinion of IS THAT IT and asked why its the capital i didnt have an answer.!!
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • I would also write to Edinburgh City Council - perhaps the marketing department whose job it is to promote the city or the local councillor for the area. The Council may have ways and means of improving things (can they not set down criteria on shop facades for example? or restrictions on the placement of baskets of tat on the pavement outside? noise nuisance?)
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • cheap_charliecheap_charlie Forumite
    764 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe that part of Princes Street myself - and I often feel sorry for the poor people who have to work in the stores with that awful music blaring all day - it would drive me mad.

I actually wonder if it could be considered to be noise pollution? I find it intrusive and annoying and that's just walking past it.

The council don't seem to care about Princes Street at all - and I suppose there are some who would consider me to be unpatriotic for not liking that din of course!:rolleyes:
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

• GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i agree, princes street is a mess, they should ban the tacky tartan nonsense and the crap pseudo-scottish music blaring all year round.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals