PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• rellaella
    Options
    I would like to start again this month with a more realistic budget of £400 for October - after failing miserably in September!
    Weightloss 2013 = 3lb/40lb
    £2 savers club = £2
    Weekly Grocery Challenge w/c 20/1 = £101.97/£30
    Jan NSD = 2/10
    :)
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well we get a veg box & 6 eggs delivered weekly at a cost of £14.40 and after much discussion regarding the expense of this we've decided to continue getting it delivered. It provides us with a nice variety of seasonal veg which we'd otherwise not buy, and the fact that it costs us more than we'd usually pay or veg means we're extremely reluctant to waste anything from it.

Anyway, the original point to that waffle was that I don't want to count the veg box in with the rest of my spend because it's a set non-varying weeky amount. So in addition to the £15 a week for the veg box I aim to spend no more than £40 for the whole of October on food, toiletries, pet food and household products for myself, darling boyfriend, Binks the cat and Pip the dog, including the veg box this makes a monthly budget of £100.

I'm trying to run the cupboards right down at the minute so I'm thinking this is going to be a piece of cake if I can get OH on board too. I have a pay packet envelope stuck to the fridge ready to keep all receipts in and I'm hoping to come in well under budget.

Good luck everyone!
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    In case it's of use to anyone budgeting for month, I've updated my monthly menu plan with links to recipes I got from the forum and have put my shopping list (with costs) online along with recipes and a list of handy items I always keep in storecupboards (so didn't need to buy for this month)

I'm massively disorganised at home so doing a total plan for the month is really the only way I could contemplate coming in on my £65 budget for two people (a little short of £39 spent so far)
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • beltainebabe
    Options
    Can I join in? This thread is very inspiring, I always do a rough budget but only vaguely keep to it normally. So I'm gonna try for £300 this month, that's for a family of five.
    The menu post was excellent btw - thanks for posting that! :D
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    Hello can you put me down again for £250 this month please

Had my main Mr T shop delivered spend so far at £157.56p got all the basics and meats just needing fresh top ups each week.
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    I would like to give this a go please. Have set budget at £300 for family of 4 and added to signature. This is my first try at this, so am only guessing at what I actually spend at the moment. I shall keep all receipts and hopefully next month I will be in a better position to know what budget to set!
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Hi Guys

Back from holiday where I spent way too much money (b****y euro conversion rate!) and need to economise again this month! So I'm aiming for £160 for the two of us even though it's a long month. I've got a Tesco delivery arriving this evening which comes to about £50 and hopefully will keep us going in fresh stuff for a bit. I've also already batch cooked a veggie shepherd's pie for tonight and tomorrow night and have made lentil soup and wholemeal bread for lunch today and tomorrow (and hopefully Wednesday depending if DH digs into it or not). I'm also back on the weightloss bandwagon which might help with the MS :)

I have also just had a quick look at my yearly challenge and think I have a chance of keeping my grocery spending under £1900 for the year, including Xmas goodies. Pleased about this in light of all the price rises.

Here's wishing us all luck!
  • Chaos_Theory_3
    Options
    I'm going to try to keep my shopping to £350 for October. That's for the 3 of us. I think we must spend about £400 easily and maybe more. with this amount I can do an online shop and go to get extras when we run out.
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them, but they were only satellites
    It's wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • ladyroughneck
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have just posted on the Sept challenge, but thought i would put it here to, please can i be added to the list again Mrs Mc, i haven't been away, just unable to log on:o and declare £135.35 for Sept :jout of a budget of £190:j and have a budget of £180 for Oct.
    Many thanks
    Anne
    :j

• katiejones
    Options
    thanks for this thread i need it lol. can i be put down for £250. This is for a family of five. But do i include all toiletries etc aswell (nappies, wipes etc) just so i have it clear in my head. thankyou
    Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure