October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.7K views

Replies

• calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only got paid on tuesday and have been spending oops.

Any way my total is now up £38 as I was naughty and bought 3 £2 chickens in Asda today. That is sunday lunch and a few meals sorted for next week.

I have no more room in my freezer so need to start using up a few things. Not help by the 10p apple danishes from mr T's on wednesday :rotfl:

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Had a bad week as my signature shows How did I manage to spend so much and I'm only at the end of 1st week:eek: I suspect it is because Mr A has seemingly stopped doing some of the value range I buy - No beetroot, no tuna flakes and the alternatives were way more expensive. Also I popped into Mr T for some courgettes (had half made courgette tea bread when I discovered what I thought was a courgette in fridge was in fact a cucumber:D didn't like to try it!!) and while there remembered milk was getting low SHOCK HORROR :eek: milk had gone up from £1.44(4 pints) to £1.53 :eek: :eek:
    Now I know why I can't stay within budget with price rises like that!!!:mad:
    Will just have to stay away from shops. On the bright side Morrisons had finished their 10 mullers for £2 but Tesco have started 5 mullers for £1 so happy bunny :rotfl:
    Off to catch up on It Pays to Watch with a thick warm blanket!!!!!!!
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    evening all,

MrsM - i am so jealous!!!! you lucky thing!!!!

well spent £26.27 in MrM today, but it should last the week, except for milk.
    got some fish for dinner tomorrow, and some prawns, having my parents round so should have a lovely dinner, am even doing HM bread for soaking up any extra sauce.

am really enjoying this month tryong to have nsd's more often and am gradually converting OH more and more.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• tirlittantirlittan Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Did not go shopping today and might actually have enough to last the whole weekend. I hope so. So only spent £11.42 on groceries so far. Bought a drink for myself and BF when out last night, £5.25, but I don't think I'll count drinks out in my budget. Also another NSD today for me so 2/10. THis month has started well. :) Hope I can keep it up and think before I spend.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHOCK HORROR :eek: milk had gone up from £1.44(4 pints) to £1.53 :eek: :eek:

Don't know if you have a farmfoods near you, but they do 2 ltrs (just under 4 pints) for £1, 3 ltrs for £1.50...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • pinkjenpinkjen Forumite
    237 Posts
    I'm really pleased tonight, came back from Mr S with some bargains that I never looked for before joining this challenge..I got 1 pack pork mince, a pork loin joint, beef escalopes, wild salmon & skinless salmon + a spaghetti with meatballs meal which at full price would have been £24.94 for £4.96 :j so a total shop of £18.83!! These will last a while as there is only DS & myself so I'm doing well. :D

Pinkjen
    x
    DFW Nerd 1038 - Debt 08/2008 £4068 - Debt Now £400
    Santander CC £400 [STRIKE]Tesco CC £622.69[/STRIKE] £0 :j
    2010 Wins:
  • Been using my bm as Warburtons bread that DS likes is £1.34 it goes up 5 or 10p a time want to try rolls but don't know what knocking back is, can anyone help. Also got 2 1.5kg chickens for £6 at MrM.
    Be kinder than necessary because we do not know the battles that someone else may face

A103, A210, U211, EA300, Y163, AA316, DSE141, A300 = BA (Hons):T
    A815 MA (current)
  • Just thought I'd pop on quickly to post this week's spends.....£83.95, have spent £158.42 of my October budget and have £241.58 left - with 3 weeks to go....hopefully can do it!! Have saved a small fortune this month with shopping online & getting my discount codes from MSE:T :T Have also tried to much more choosy about what I buy and if we don't REALLY need it - it gets deleted from my basket!!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 Posts
    I don't have a BM but have made bread from scratch. 'Knocking back' is when you have left the dough to rise, you then 'knock it back' - ie re-knead & knock out the air from the first rise, before shaping it into the loaf, rolls or whatever & leave for a second rise before cooking.

I believe the reason for doing this is so that you end up with only small 'bubbles' of air, whereas if only one rise would be fairly big bubbles.
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 Posts
    Went to Lidl today and stocked up on all the basics including fruit juices, tinned tomatoes, beans, pasta, rice, cereals, cheeses, ice creams, yoghurts, fish, chips, and even a FR chicken etc.......The cupboards were really bare before but now they are overflowing with a large stash hidden in the garage! :D Managed to spend £105!!!!!!!!:eek:

Got to go to the butchers for the some meat later in the week as I want to double batch cook lots of recipes. I've worked out our menu plan for the next month which of course I will change around if I need to but at least I will know that I've got the ingredients I need at the beginning of each week.

Managed 2 NSD's without even trying this week. :j

Good luck everyone
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News