RBOS Royalties Gold account benefits

Options
We went in our bank to review our banking situation and just out of curiosity we asked about a £15 charge that was coming out of the account every month. We presumed it was for banking charges eg for the overdraft limit. Seems it isn't. The £15 is for the Royalties account. We agreed to it being transfered last time but we were not clearly told what it entailed. The girl told us that we were actually on the Royalties Platinum/Premium account which they have now stopped doing because RBOS staff were complaining that this was the same benefits that they got.
She told us that we could get discounts on a lot of things such as car insurance, Travel insurance discounts on concert tickets and going out and staying out.

We are happy to pay the charge because over the year it will save us some money but does anybody have an idea of restaurants etc that you can use the Royalties account with? There is no list on the RBOS webpage so wondered if anybody on here had the Gold or Premium account and where can you use it exactly.

Comments

• Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    www.rbsroyalties.com

Which account are you on? Is it gold? Tell me and I will PM you the password.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• JanCee
    JanCee Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    andrew71 wrote: »
    We went in our bank to review our banking situation and just out of curiosity we asked about a £15 charge that was coming out of the account every month. We presumed it was for banking charges eg for the overdraft limit. Seems it isn't. The £15 is for the Royalties account. We agreed to it being transfered last time but we were not clearly told what it entailed. The girl told us that we were actually on the Royalties Platinum/Premium account which they have now stopped doing because RBOS staff were complaining that this was the same benefits that they got.
    She told us that we could get discounts on a lot of things such as car insurance, Travel insurance discounts on concert tickets and going out and staying out.

We are happy to pay the charge because over the year it will save us some money but does anybody have an idea of restaurants etc that you can use the Royalties account with? There is no list on the RBOS webpage so wondered if anybody on here had the Gold or Premium account and where can you use it exactly.

These accounts are a complete waste of money for most people. The staff have to push them because they are part of their sales targets. The majority of customers only use the travel insurance and you can get it much cheaper by shopping around.
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kavanne wrote: »
    www.rbsroyalties.com

Which account are you on? Is it gold? Tell me and I will PM you the password.
    The girl yesterday said we were on the platinum/Premium account (not sure what it is called now) RBS have stopped doing this one it gives more benefits than the Gold account. If you could PM me the password to the Gold account that would be great though. I take it you have an Royalties account? and if so do you use it very discounts etc?
  • Kavanne
    Options
    I have a royalties gold because I am staff and I get it free!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• Scenic_Route
    Options
    More to the point make sure you are still not paying the £15 because if you hold a Royalties Gold account then the charge should be £12.95. You can get mobile phone insurance "free", travel insurance "free" a sum paid out on your death (think it is around £5K) and discount for restaurants etc. call the Royalties membership line and they should be able to tell you what restaurants are in the scheme. There is an overdraft facility of £250 "free". There is an arguement that states you can get mobile insurance, travel insurance etc for less than the £155.40 per year it costs to run the account and if you are always in the black then perhaps you should just downgrade to the royalties account which does'nt charge an account fee.

Good luck

SR

(I hate RBS but still bank with them grrrrrrrrr)
    No outfit is complete without cat hair or baby vomit :j
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Royalties Gold account. I was in for a review a while back and they told me to try and get my car insurance through RBS. I tried and I was quoted £50 more that what I was already paying with Direct Line (which is an RBS company!)

However I did get my home and contents insurance through them and I got both for £18 - a saving of £9 a month. They also don't charge extra for paying monthly.

Edited: Just realised i'm paying £12.95 a month for the privilege of saving £9!
  • Kavanne
    Options
    There is an arguement that states you can get mobile insurance, travel insurance etc for less than the £155.40 per year it costs to run the account and if you are always in the black then perhaps you should just downgrade to the royalties account which does'nt charge an account fee.
    Royalties has a fee also. It would be a plain current account ('standard bank account', on the website) the OP would need to downgrade to.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• -MRS_T-
    -MRS_T- Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I am looking for some help please and I am hoping someone maybe be able to answer my question.

I have a royal bank of scotland royalties gold account which comes with free travel insurance.

I would like to know if anyone can confirm wether or not this covers my husband and my son who is an infant (18mths old).

I am travelling tmrw at 3am and I forgot to phone to check this with them and I cannot see anything on my policy.

I would appreciate any help

many thanks
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    -MRS_T- wrote: »
    Hello

I am looking for some help please and I am hoping someone maybe be able to answer my question.

I have a royal bank of scotland royalties gold account which comes with free travel insurance.

I would like to know if anyone can confirm wether or not this covers my husband and my son who is an infant (18mths old).

I am travelling tmrw at 3am and I forgot to phone to check this with them and I cannot see anything on my policy.

I would appreciate any help

many thanks

Assuming you live at the same address, yes it does.
  • -MRS_T-
    -MRS_T- Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    Options
    chambta wrote: »
    Assuming you live at the same address, yes it does.

yes we do all live at the same address. thank you so much for the clarification.

kind regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport