Quick way to find a cheap train fare

Options
www.farefinder.thetrainline.com/

I wasn't aware of this webpage and thought it might be useful to have as a bookmark.
Limited stations unless you are travelling from London. I usually book through East Midlands as they do not charge a booking fee.

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you: this is amazing!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Pip26
    Pip26 Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks v. much for this.
  • Venezia
    Venezia Posts: 796 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    Thank you: this is amazing!

I thought so too but wasn't sure if it was widely known. I usually travel from Sheffield and would advise you to check Megabus web site too as I have travelled, by train, from Sheffield to London for £1 + 50p booking fee, several times in the past.
  • froggy27_2
    Options
    Thanks for this..OH travels every w/e from Doncaster/sheffield back to London so any help with train fares are welcome... He's never used Megatrain..is it easy with e-tickets? .. i've had a look but never see a £1 fare by train.....good on you!
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • ryan85k
    ryan85k Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Venezia wrote: »
    I thought so too but wasn't sure if it was widely known. I usually travel from Sheffield and would advise you to check Megabus web site too as I have travelled, by train, from Sheffield to London for £1 + 50p booking fee, several times in the past.

Me too! I always manage to find trains for £1-£5 on Megatrain, top site!
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks been looking for a site like this for ages!! Brilliant
  • RuthMarianna
    Options
    I have used this site to book 2 train journeys and the prices seemed good to me. There is a link on the site to join a discount shopping site, you can get a months free trial which I did and get £10 for your second train journey booked. Today I received the cheque- only took about a week to come and I sent the info they needed by post.:j
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,558 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport